It doesn't take Skippy long to figure out Security leaves at XYZ.
    "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

The complex I work at uses the maintenance team for "security" during the day. They do their best, but they are not on patrol - they are doing maintenance tasks. The prop managers do respond to serious stuff, but as noted, they are not trained the way we are.

Most of our parking, speeding & malicious mischief complaints come during the day - and substantially drop off a 1/2 hour before Security comes on duty.

I was an expert witness in a case where the maintenance department also functioned as the security department and something very bad happened. The case settled in favor of the plaintiff before the case could go to trial. This maintenance department had no qualified security people on it and the department supervisor had no security qualifications/training at all.

Thinking about this case it actually went to trial and was settled before I was called to the witness stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    And....easily $200K+ to successfully defend a lawsuit for negligent security. You lose and it only skyrockets from there. You roll the dice and hope you don't roll craps.
    Wish you could tell all the clients that.

Quote Originally Posted by macguard View Post
    Wish you could tell all the clients that.
    I give a 1-2 hour talk on litigation avoidance. Most of the time it is free except for actual travel expenses. One of the areas I spend time on is taking the class through the litigation process from the filing process through trial.

When I start adding the costs up at different stages of litigation it really hits home with the class. Then I show the costs as compared to the company business model and show them how much they money they have to make to make up the loss. Then I go into punitive damages which are not covered by insurance. This really seems to sink in.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Punitive damages/ They are very low in the Canadian system, probably one of the reason why I'm in the position I'm in.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Punitive damages/ They are very low in the Canadian system, probably one of the reason why I'm in the position I'm in.
    Although lower than here in the USA they are on the rise in Canada. A simple Google search shows this to be true. One thing about punitive damages....they are meant to be exactly what the term implies....punitive. Punitive damages are not covered by insurance (even in Canada) and has a direct affect on a company's bottom line.

Canadian Supreme Court raises the bar on punitive damages: http://www.torys.com/Publications/Documents/Publication PDFs/CM02-2T.pdf