Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Security
    • Sep 2005

Lock Picking

It used to be that most people didn't have the ability or knowledge to defeat tumbler/pin locks quickly. Now, there is a method called "bumping" which is compromising the security of most mechanical locks in use today. Take the time to understand which locks are susceptible to this relatively new technique and replace them with better locks, like Medeco, etc.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)
  • Bill Warnock
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Security
    It used to be that most people didn't have the ability or knowledge to defeat tumbler/pin locks quickly. Now, there is a method called "bumping" which is compromising the security of most mechanical locks in use today. Take the time to understand which locks are susceptible to this relatively new technique and replace them with better locks, like Medeco, etc.
    Mr. Security:
    That is sound advice. No key or combination locking devices are pick or manipulation proof there are only degrees of pick and manipulation resistance. Should one decide on a padlock device ensure you understand the principles of shimming and rapping. If such a device is deemed necessary would it meet the standards contained in MIL-Spec 17-802 (current series) and insist on cam operated shackle heel and toe. Mortise and rim locks should be chosen for the application intended.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

• Mr. Security
      • Sep 2005

Thanks Bill. Tomorrow I have a locksmith coming out to upgrade the deadbolts in my residence to Grade 1, with bump-resistant technology.

Comment

• T202
        • Apr 2006

Mr. S, very good information.
        Thanks

Comment

• Mr. Security
          • Sep 2005

Buying the right lock.

The following quote on bumping locks was posted on 08/25/06 by Marc Weber Tobias:

"Schlage Primus (above) also utilizes a sidebar design which accomplishes the same security result as Medeco and other manufacturers but in a very different way. The Primus, like the Assa (both of which were invented by Bo Widen in Sweden), utilizes an added set of pins that must be separately activated by side millings in the key. Both locking systems (conventional pins and finger pins) must be properly set by the key before the lock can be opened.

Can the Primus lock be bumped open? Some locksmiths have provided random reports of bumping open the Primus but none have really been verified and consistently repeated. The mechanical design of this lock will make the process extremely difficult, unreliable, and realistically all but precludes bypass in this manner. Actually, the Primus, which is also UL 437 rated, goes one step further than Medeco in its design; there are conventional pins that must be lifted as well as the finger pins which must be separately lifted and rotated. So, one might consider that there is actually an additional level of security in this lock, as compared to Medeco. The fence-gate tolerances of the finger pins all but prevent bumping because they will not tolerate any forward movement of the key which is required during bumping. Is it impossible? I never say never, and in isolated instances with certain finger pin combinations, a lock might be compromised but I would not count on it. Primus is, in my view, is quite secure against this technique."

Other locks that are recommended in this article: ASSA, MUL-T-LOCK.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
            • Mar 2006

As Bill said, locks are there only to provide a degree of protection. If someone wants in, they'll get in. I had a jewellry dealer stay in a room with an electrinic lock on it. Someone knew he had his merchandise in the room. They simply smashed through the door. The lock stayed intact!

We often have to physcially break into the room safes & safety deposit boxes when people loose keys. All it takes is a little physical effort. I can open my electronic locks by knowing where to drill.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• Mr. Security
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
              As Bill said, locks are there only to provide a degree of protection. If someone wants in, they'll get in. I had a jewellry dealer stay in a room with an electrinic lock on it. Someone knew he had his merchandise in the room. They simply smashed through the door. The lock stayed intact!

We often have to physcially break into the room safes & safety deposit boxes when people loose keys. All it takes is a little physical effort. I can open my electronic locks by knowing where to drill.
              That's the bright side to this issue. Most criminals look for easy targets, i.e., unlocked or flimsy doors, windows, etc. Brute force is still the preferred method. Bump-keys are more likely to be employed by individuals with the hacker personality…they enjoy the challenge. Other candidates are professionals who want to avoid the appearance of forced entry.

Comment

• Mr. Security
                • Sep 2005

Update

I guess I'm not cut-out to be a 'crook.' I tried this technique on my own locks and failed miserably. Oh well, this is a good thing.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                  • Aug 2005

Lock picking isn't a science, its an art. This is the first thing I learned when I started learning how to pick.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• Eric
                    • Sep 2006

And if not through, around or over. Just like a safe has 6 sides, look at all possible entry possibilities.

Originally posted by HotelSecurity

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

• knotquiteawake
                      • Apr 2006

I was really surprised when i first tried lock picking. Its tricky but not difficult to understand and try out.
                      Also, i've been following the bump key method for over a year now. Its gained widespead use over in Europe. It wasn't until recently that American "mainstream" got wind of how seriously flawed 90% of all pin and tumbler locks are.

Comment

• Bill Warnock
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
                        I was really surprised when i first tried lock picking. Its tricky but not difficult to understand and try out.
                        Also, i've been following the bump key method for over a year now. Its gained widespead use over in Europe. It wasn't until recently that American "mainstream" got wind of how seriously flawed 90% of all pin and tumbler locks are.
                        Government has known about it for the past 25 years or longer. The military, Justice, FBI and some others have come to know and appreciate that fact. As most of know, not all makers have this device but each one does have US Senators and Congresspersons.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                          • Aug 2005

Sometimes you don't even need a bump key.

The (Formerly known as) MIT Guide to Lockpicking.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• LOCKMAN
                            • Oct 2006

Lock Bumpng

Lock Bumping is not new. It has been practiced in Europe for years and has recently (3 or 4 years ago) been introduced to U.S.
                            Many people consider lockpicking a hobby or sport. It's not nearly as effective nor as easy as most people think. I've seen demonstrations of all kinds of magic picks, guns even an electric model that looked like a modofied electric toothbrush. I saw one that was made from a battery powered electric scissors. The thing is.... every one of these demonstrations were done on locks that had been keyed to be easy to pick. The biggest factor in a plain old Kwikset or Schlage Classic being easy to pick is the tumbler combination. Also, any lock that has been keyed to a master system is going to be easier to pick. For every chamber that has a master chip, you have doubled the number of possible combination to clear the shearline, thus opening the lock. So when a 6 pin lock has a master chip in every chamber you will have 64 possible combinations. I could on and on but the short version is that "bumping" is no real threat to any quality, properly keyed lockset.

Comment

• lisa wilson
                              • Aug 2009

Hi

I thought Mr. Security, bumping keys are not as much necessary, why go for so much expense?, use Rim Locks, and Padlocks (Like, Keyed Alike Padlocks, Masterkeyed Padlocks, Closed Shackle Padlocks, High Security Padlocks and many more.... )
                              Gun Safe

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...