+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Railroad Police

Quote Originally Posted by macguard View Post
    For some reason they get looked down upon by most police/sheriffs departments.
    In MA the Sheriffs department is usually looked down upon, due to their main mission being care and custody of inmates and not so much LE (i.e. patrol, investigations). DOC operates the prisons while the sheriffs operate the jails and HOC.

MBTA which is the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Agency has their own police force which in a way is similar to something like BART or the NY transit officers. However they also cover the commute rail which goes to New Hampshire, Rhode Island as well as throughout the entire state.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Personally, I cringe at the thought of some private company having it own fully empowered "police" who answer to the company, not the taxpayers.

Slippery slope and all that.

The problem is any private company will do anything so much better than "city employees", but then they aren't real police.

I'm guessing RR police of private corp don't have the authority to override their private employers 'orders' on stuff like staffing and scheduling "for the public's safety".

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Personally, I cringe at the thought of some private company having it own fully empowered "police" who answer to the company, not the taxpayers.

Slippery slope and all that.

The problem is any private company will do anything so much better than "city employees", but then they aren't real police.

I'm guessing RR police of private corp don't have the authority to override their private employers 'orders' on stuff like staffing and scheduling "for the public's safety".
    MBTA Police is a civil service position in this state, and you can lateral from their department (which other agencies send their officers to) to another civil service or non civil service PD. I think besides the MSP accademy in New Braintree, MBTA and Boston Police have the toughest academies in this state, just form what i've heard over the years.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    MBTA Police is a civil service position in this state, and you can lateral from their department (which other agencies send their officers to) to another civil service or non civil service PD. I think besides the MSP accademy in New Braintree, MBTA and Boston Police have the toughest academies in this state, just form what i've heard over the years.
    Away back in 1972 I took the Civil Service Exam.
    Passed exam
    Passed physical exam
    Good recommendations by a Lt. on the local police department
    BUT one big problem.
    Cope is a shrimp
    All 5'6 and 1/2" of him
    Height requirements in those days. 5'8"
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

My concern is who does a Norfork Southern, or CSX (as example) "police officer" answer to?

http://www.usacops.com/ga/p30309/index.html

Says something about "protecting public, etc, etc" but I get the idea that his 'boss' is some corp manager of a private company, but he still has 'full police powers'.

Well, it is nice that the company pays for their own cops rather than getting subsidy from taxpayers, but I still have a problem with private corps getting their very own private police who are directed not by some elected Govt but by the private corp.

Shouldn't any and all private citizens have same option to hire their very own private, fully empowered, police officers?

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by copelandamuffy View Post
    Away back in 1972 I took the Civil Service Exam.
    Passed exam
    Passed physical exam
    Good recommendations by a Lt. on the local police department
    BUT one big problem.
    Cope is a shrimp
    All 5'6 and 1/2" of him
    Height requirements in those days. 5'8"
    Same thing here. Height requirements were 5'8". I was 5'7". Then came the language issue where French became the official language of Quebec & you could not work in a provincial government job if you could not read. write & speak French. I can read & speak it but without Google Translate I can not write it.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

Isn't there a story about a short guy who wanted to be a cop in worst way but was just 'short' of height, but 'gamed' the system by making sure he only had to 'pass' one time, then has his buddy wack him on top of head with stick of rebar so he shows up with a big "knot" on top of his head, which was legally "all him" and he passed, but later had 'complications' and mental probs(like he didn't have them already).

I'll try and dig it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    My concern is who does a Norfork Southern, or CSX (as example) "police officer" answer to?

http://www.usacops.com/ga/p30309/index.html

Says something about "protecting public, etc, etc" but I get the idea that his 'boss' is some corp manager of a private company, but he still has 'full police powers'.

Well, it is nice that the company pays for their own cops rather than getting subsidy from taxpayers, but I still have a problem with private corps getting their very own private police who are directed not by some elected Govt but by the private corp.

Shouldn't any and all private citizens have same option to hire their very own private, fully empowered, police officers?
    You can hire a fully commissioned police officer squid. and just like any other officer the laws apply to him (and bnsf,csx etc officers) they can lose their commission if they don't abide by the state regs.