+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

*watches the continual excavation and passes popcorn around to Pop pop, macguard and copeland*
    I would never suggest that someone stifle their "truth". However, if I knew someone who was a Neo-Nazi, I'd probably suggest that he not fly the swastika in his front yard if he didn't want to put up with sneers from the neighbors.
    "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

Benghazi: 'Terror' deleted from talking points

CNN-

After some emotional and eye-opening testimony from career diplomats on Capitol Hill this week about the terrorist attacks at the American diplomatic posts in Benghazi, Libya, there is now news that the White House and Obama administration edited the talking points about the attack, talking points intended for members of Congress.

In one of the 12 drafts, it stated that "since April 2012 the agency [meaning the CIA] has produced numerous pieces on the threat of extremists linked to al Qaeda in Benghazi and eastern Libya. These noted that since April, there have been at lest five other attacks against foreign interests in Benghazi by unidentified assailants including the June attack against the British ambassador's convoy."

As seen in e-mail excerpts obtained by CNN, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland wrote to administration colleagues that that "point could be abused to beat the State Department for not paying attention to agency warnings, so why do we want to feed that? " The paragraph was removed.

In the briefing room Friday, White House spokesman Jay Carney faced a barrage of questions about the e-mails, which were first reported by The Weekly Standard, and then ABC News. Carney said the talking points were not heavily edited, and that the CIA changed notes due to conflicting information.

"The overriding concern of everyone involved in that circumstance is always to make sure that we're not giving to those who speak in public about these issues information that cannot be confirmed, speculation about who was responsible, other things like warnings that may or may not be relevant to what we ultimately learn about what happened, and why," said Carney.

This comes after Gregory Hicks, the Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. embassy in Libya during the Benghazi attack, told investigators that he thought the Benghazi siege was a terrorist attack from the "get-go." Hicks was one of three diplomats who testified in front of a House committee on Wednesday.

The administration says all these accusations are just political hit pieces. But grieving family members, like Pat Smith, mother of Sean Smith who was killed at Benghazi, have no horse in the race. And they have now gone eight agonizing months without answers, despite being promised them from President Barack Obama, then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Vice President Joe Biden, and then-Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta.

"I beg for answers, when I was there for the casket ceremony, Obama and Hillary, and Biden, and Panetta, said they would check into it and let me know, not one of them has called me none, they don't care. I'm not important to them," Smith told CNN Thursday.

Judge Jeanine - If it wasn't a terrorist attack then why did the FBI have to wait for a month? because it wasn't safe? they carry guns don't they? The security teams ask for more support and it wasn't given to them. A flat out misrepresentation of the facts of what happen on the ground. Dang!@!

Pops
    Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

I worked for big "international" construction company and one fine morning it was announced we'd all have a jobsite wide "safety meeting" for about an hour, because the company had 3 workplace deaths in a week in operations in USA, UK and Canada, and they talked about "safety" and passed out some tee shirts and had GOOD coffee and donuts.

Then we all went back to work and by that afternoon it was all but forgotten.

While they were big company, they would be dwarfed by scale of US Govt operations, world wide.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with our POTUS and Sec of State not paying much attention to 4 deaths, especially if they were "well informed, VERY well paid risk takers", even if that includes "lying about it to victims families" or something, and I'm no fan of Obama/Hillary. There are far more important things they need to pay attention to, like toxic toys from China, that will be far more harmful as far as "life years" even if they don't cause a single distinct death.

At least they didn't compound things by doing some "rescue attempt" that would most likely only make it harder for legit Americans to travel and conduct legit business in the region for years to come.

I don't have any confidence the "rescue attempt" and their firepower would be able to distinguish from groups running to the compound to attack it, or groups running to the compound to offer assistance, or distinguish the motives of people running from the compound.

[QUOTE=Squid;139808
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with our POTUS and Sec of State not paying much attention to 4 deaths, especially if they were "well informed, VERY well paid risk takers", even if that includes "lying about it to victims families" or something, and I'm no fan of Obama/Hillary. There are far more important things they need to pay attention to, like toxic toys from China, that will be far more harmful as far as "life years" even if they don't cause a single distinct death.

[/QUOTE]

Squid I have shut up about you and said little. BUT NOT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!!!
    I agree with all the others, you are an a**
    You don't see anything wrong with Hillary not paying attention to the 4 deaths!!!!!
    Lying to the victim's families
    Far more important things!!!!!!!!!
    Tell that to Pat Smith whose son cannot call her on Mother's day to wish her a Happy Mother's day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49vuB9Rp2ro

Curtis it is time to exit one clown!
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Default Special Forces to 'Stand Down'

US News-

The chief diplomat at the embassy in Libya the night of the Benghazi attacks claims the Pentagon ordered Special Forces troops in Tripoli to "stand down," despite his belief that they were needed to support evacuation and security efforts.

[READ: Benghazi Hearing Focuses on Clinton, Obama Failures]

Gregory Hicks, a career Foreign Service officer and former deputy chief of mission in Libya, testified before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Wednesday, alongside two other State Department officials. He provided the inaugural public, first-person account of the events that took place in Libya the night of Sept. 11, 2012, that led to the death of four Americans in Benghazi, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

Hicks testified he was standing next to a U.S. Army Special Forces officer that night who was instructed not to assist in efforts to secure and evacuate American personnel from Benghazi. The Pentagon says these troops were ordered to remain where they would do the most good.

At roughly 6 p.m. local time, the defense attaché at the American Embassy in Tripoli confirmed that the Libyan government would be willing to fly a C-130 cargo plane into Benghazi to evacuate the American wounded and deceased who had rallied at a U.S. annex there.

"We wanted to send external support forces," along with the C-130 and Libyan forces to assist with the efforts, Hicks testified on Wednesday. Hicks, who was in Tripoli, was standing near a "Lt. Col. Gibson," who commanded a four-person Special Forces team. These troops were what remained from a 14-person security team tasked with establishing security at the U.S. diplomatic presence following the 2011 Libyan revolution.

[PHOTOS: The Attack on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi]

The remaining Special Forces soldiers' mission had changed in August 2011 from providing security to offering training. Command of this team also switched from the embassy, under Ambassador Stevens, to Army Gen. Carter Ham, then-commander of U.S. Africa Command.

Hicks testified these troops had highly trained skills that would have been useful to the personnel in Benghazi, who were "exhausted from a night of fighting against very capable opponents."

"There was every reason to believe our personnel was still in danger," he says, adding he does not know why the Special Forces troops were not allowed to get on the C-130.

He says Lt. Col. Gibson was "furious" that he could not assist the Americans in Benghazi. "That's what he wanted to do."

Pentagon spokesmen had previously stated that no U.S. assets were ever told to "stand down" the night of the attack in Benghazi. Air Force Maj. Rob Firman told USA Today Tuesday that the military's account of this response "hasn't changed."

"There was never any kind of stand down order to anybody," Firman said.

Firman reaffirmed this statement to U.S. News following Hicks' Wednesday testimony.

[PHOTOS: Hillary Clinton Testifies on the Attack in Benghazi]

"Were these guys told not to do anything? No. They were in Tripoli, supporting the U.S. security in Tripoli, and they were told to stay there," Firman says. Special Operations Command Africa leadership told them to remain where they were, and "it was more important for those guys to be in Tripoli."

"I look at that as not so much a stand-down order, as it is a 'stay where you are,'" says Firman. "Those guys met the planes and continued to support."

Firman adds that the C-130 was tasked with picking up the American personnel at the Benghazi airport and leave immediately. These Special Forces troops would not have been on the ground long enough to have contributed significantly to the operation.

"There was a very limited amount of time that they could have done anything," he says.

[OPINION: Why Benghazi Matters]

The Joint Operations Center that was overseeing the response was getting inputs from Benghazi and from Tripoli, Firman says, adding it was "in a position to coordinate in a way that people standing on the ground aren't necessarily."

Hicks recounted Wednesday the first few hours of the attack, beginning with a cell phone call with Stevens in which the ambassador said, "Greg, we're under attack."

Throughout the night, as many as 60 people overran the Benghazi compound through four phases of the attack and evacuation, he said.

This led up to roughly 3 a.m. on Sept. 12, when Hicks received what he calls "the saddest phone call I've ever had in my life." The Libyan prime minister informed him that Stevens had died.

"Our team responded with amazing discipline and courage in Tripoli, in organizing our withdrawal," he said. "I have vivid memories of that." "I was in awe, I am still in awe of them," he said.

Pops
    Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

I guess I'm just weird that way, likewise I never understood all the drama over unintentional "Friendly Fire" deaths.

I heard in Gulf One we may have had more US troops killed by FF than by enemy, and to me that means our War Planners did such a good job at keeping our guys safe we had nearly zero KIA, and the FF death rate probably not any higher than a rigorous War Game of similar size with BLANKS (just from guys in traffic accidents, breaking necks tripping, strangled from straps caught up, etc). Used to be a leading cause of death for US servicemen was being crushed by vending machines on base as they tried to tease out a free candy bar "just for kicks". What you gonna do? (they spent some money bolting down the machines real good, but I'm sure the guys found something else dumb and dangerous to test their strength and skills on).

Sure, it would be something to 'improve' but not a real high priority. A priority would be to have the same War Planners working on doing that even 10% that good FF-wise "next time" when a bunch of stuff changes and any enemy has seen what we did last time....so we don't take some real numbers of KIA (by enemy) and run risk of operation stalling or failing.

I'm sure for every FF KIA caused by "playing it close", or even 'overly eager', dozens of normal KIA were avoided, because "calling it in" from air or big guns is what works.