Default suggested procedures for log in/out at busy construction project gate?

This is NOT the overnight site I mentioned in prior thread today.

This is a HUGE civil engineering project with from 150-500 people on site on any given day, all through one gate, and all that need to come through a mile of single family residential hilly, windy roads to the site.

We got hella big dump trucks that need a "pilot" through neighborhood (and past TWO grammar schools) and out of the site.

We got 100s of construction workers from dozens of companies each day.

We got dozens of city/county/state employees who are pretty much "above the law".

We got quite a bit of "brass" from the general contractor who are also "above the law".

We got all sorts of visitors and large and small delivery.

Currently, there are at least 3 points where different guards are logging in and out or holding big trucks for pilots.

We been asked for suggestions on how to keep things flowing 'smoothly'(fast) but still keep it all fully logged as site is somewhat "security sensitive".

Right now, it is "YOU F***ING GUARDS NEED TO LOG EVERYONE ALL THE TIME!!!", but then their are an assload of exceptions. More exceptions that 'rules' coming through. That is pretty typical of every similar post. Soon so many exceptions it becomes a joke, especially with ever changing guards and trucks.

CURRENT practice is to only log in and out at start and end of day and not "count" trips in and out for dump trucks and everyone else. Half the time guys will just say they are "coming back" to blow off logging out.

Site management has asked for suggestions, but seem to think guards "getting to know who is who" is key, but guards keep getting fired, or swapped and who remembers 100s of trucks who change everyday?

I'm thinking at a minimum if you can't hold up 100s of workers every 7am rush, pass them out numbered slips to fill out and hand back in, along with automatic front and back digital camera pics of vehicles as they enter and leave.

Maybe a motion sensor to trigger camera as we do have nice 50yd "shute" they all must go through.

PS-we have an official "Safety Captain" from General Contractor supposedly in charge of all this under who the present (to me) bogus and porous system "evolved".
    Last edited by Squid; 02-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.

I can't imagine how you control the flow of traffic ; get some sort of ID from each vehicle and operate safely (to please your "safety captain") standing in the road and do it all accurately with out a camera and computer type device.
    I think the "numbered" pieces of paper that are passed out would possibly get lost (thereby holding up the traffic flow).
    At an industrial site I was at it helped by us contacting the county to adjust the traffic lights that controlled the traffic into the site.
    I think having signs on the approach road to the site informing the traffic of the "ID" process might help also.

How many people at a time will be doing this?

a very "tall order" for sure....

Yeah, big signs explaining the process prior to the cattle entering 'the chute' would help.

Yeah, passing out slips would result in many lost slips in construction vehicles by the day of the day, the idea would be to have most fill them out ahead of time and at the beginning of the exit line have extras available so they can be filled out by the time they are ready for 'release'.

But I agree for any real security, nothing comes close to nice pic of vehicle, its lic plate # and who is driving and passengers, and now with cheap digital cameras that should be cheap and easy but I've never seen an 'off the shelf' electric eye trigger for standard cheap camera.

They are talking "anti-terrorism" but like most places if anyone was even half interested in "terror" they could easily bypass or bluff past. It ain't like we are checking lic. plates against list of stolen plate numbers or anything, or even asking for ID, just hoping they give correct names.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Yeah, big signs explaining the process prior to the cattle entering 'the chute' would help.

Yeah, passing out slips would result in many lost slips in construction vehicles by the day of the day, the idea would be to have most fill them out ahead of time and at the beginning of the exit line have extras available so they can be filled out by the time they are ready for 'release'.

But I agree for any real security, nothing comes close to nice pic of vehicle, its lic plate # and who is driving and passengers, and now with cheap digital cameras that should be cheap and easy but I've never seen an 'off the shelf' electric eye trigger for standard cheap camera.

They are talking "anti-terrorism" but like most places if anyone was even half interested in "terror" they could easily bypass or bluff past. It ain't like we are checking lic. plates against list of stolen plate numbers or anything, or even asking for ID, just hoping they give correct names.
    your approach to terrorists: If you are in fact an "agent" of the property owner you can stop/detain anyone (even though they want a good flow). I someone is acting squrly let them "prove" who they are; you don't see border agents timing themselves in an investigation....

Peak hours WILL be busy; use your "down-time" to organize your data (i.e. put info into electronic files for later recover. Having done this before I know you can probably publish yesterday's stuff as a start to today's log.
    People are creatures of habit; they will probably arrive within minutes of yesterday's time.
    Last edited by sec-guy; 02-27-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: additional

Default Don't know if this will help, but...

Oh boy - this brought back memories. I have only one suggestion not mentioned - maybe a rule that only clearly marked vehicles (Co. name, visible plates, DOT # if appropriate) are allowed in. (This obviously wouldn't solve your visitor problem.) I worked one site at the height of the War on Terror where we were told that unmarked vans were to be turned away if they had no "proof" they belonged, and any unmarked large vehicles in sensitive areas would be called in to the local police or impounded immediately.

There was a lot of grumbling, but I noticed 3/4ths of the vendors opted for displaying one of our large, visible permits in their windshields rather than get stopped and questioned every day.

We tried to do the paper passes with truck drivers at a waterfront terminal one year. If I got three a day filled out correctly and returned we were doing good. We finally quietly gave up on it.