+ Reply to Thread

Default Government releases report on violence in the federal workplace

This is a topic we often cover on the site from the private side rather than the public. I wanted to get your thoughts on what the hallmarks of a good workplace violence prevention program are, as well as what you think of the MSPB's report recommendations?

http://www.mspb.gov/netsearch/viewdo...cation=ACROBAT

One of the better reports I've seen. I suspect the Feds may be ahead of the curve on this because of their size and how high profile they are. Supervisor training, in both preventive techniques and proper incident reaction, are a big factor in dealing with the problem.

I agree with making sure the work enviornment does not condone unacceptable behavior, and this includes customers and clients. My company's management is pretty good about disciplining employees or supervisors who are bullies or show clear signs of being aggressive, but they tend to ignore abusive tenants. It makes for a stressful workplace, and I think the more you allow people to get away with, the more chance someone will cross the line and become physical.

Default in "Government by Consent"(old PoliSci textbook) they said we have about 3million

Fed employees, and every year on average about 300, or 1 in 10,000, are fired for poor job performance.

1 in 10,000 wont even cover weird, kinky love heptagons that result in someone being fraudulently setup to be fired for "poor job performance".

In Mtn View, CA they converted Moffet Field (navy) housing to "Fed Employee housing". Locals call it the "Retard Ranch".

Fed Govt employees are like a whole different race. I've heard 95% are either children of Fed employees, or newly minted foreigners with US citizenship, or both.

This is the right task performed by the Government. Not only releasing report, should also take necessary action for avoiding these sort of occurrences in the places like these. We are here in our locality to take necessary action in the name of the comity with 50 members altogether and to take necessary action for getting awareness in the people among these situations. We are waiting for the members who are in interested in participating in this task. Thanks for the details provided.

private security guard
    security guard for hire

This report wasn't really released by the "government"... it's from the Merit Systems Protection Board which is a quasi-federal independent agency that was created to look out for government employees interests and protect government employees from attacks by partisan politicians.

So, when you read the study, I think it is very important to realize who it is from and what their vested interests are. It was not created by the "government" and it shouldn't be construed that the "government" is ahead of the curve because of the study by the Merit Systems Protection Board.

It's very rare when the government is ahead of the curve in any matter... especially personnel matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Fed Govt employees are like a whole different race. I've heard 95% are either children of Fed employees, or newly minted foreigners with US citizenship, or both.
    You have heard incorrectly. I'd love to know where you come up with this nonsense? And as far as children of Government employees... what's your point? Considering the federal government is based in Washington DC, basically everyone works for the government or a government contractor... thus, yes multiple generations of families do work for the federal government. I hope you realize that each AGENCY of the federal government is a separate entity... it's not one big connected organization like you seem to think.
    Last edited by DCPSPDcop; 12-21-2012 at 12:09 AM.