X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trunk Monkey
    Banned
    • Apr 2012

Unauthorized Firearms At Work

I’ve only worked for one security company but I’ve had run ins w/ security officers my whole life. It seems to me that there’s at least one idiot on each site that feels the need to carry an unauthorized firearm on shift.

It also seems that idiot usually feels the need announce that they are carrying an unauthorized firearm.

The worst example I ever saw was a guy that showed up for duty every night in a full duty belt w/ sidearm even though he was told repeatedly that this was not only unauthorized but illegal. The company finally removed him from the site when he attempted to disarm a person w/ a Colorado CHP.

How do you deal w/ this idiot when you run into him?
  • Curtis Baillie
    • Jul 2006

Fire them and report them to the police.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• copelandamuffy
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie
      Fire them and report them to the police.
      Yes. Excellent Curtis. Damn fool for his actions.
      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

• Curtis Baillie
        • Jul 2006

Seems pretty simple to me.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• tanko
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie
          Seems pretty simple to me.
          Agreed.

Anyone that is willing to accept an unarmed job and work armed the individual needs to fired and arrested. Depending on what state you work in it can be a felony, while others it's a simple infraction by the licensing board. Regardless, there should be no room for someone like this in our industry.

If it's not an arrestable offense for working armed unlicensed, then fire them on the spot and report them to the licensing board. If the employee doesn't leave, then have them arrested for trespassing, disorderly conduct and whatever else you can get them for in your state. Of course, don't let them know the police are coming when you do make the decision to arrest them if you can help it, being you're probably unarmed.
          Last edited by tanko; 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM.
          sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

• Trunk Monkey
            Banned
            • Apr 2012

In Colorado Springs your license is contingent upon employment if you lose your job you lose your license anyway

Comment

• Jaeger
              • Feb 2012

Well you know, I've heard stories from the 1980's in this country about security guards carrying more or less unlicensed firearms with them during work shifts and especially in sites that had night shifts in remote locations and patrol routes at night time. It seems that some didn't really just rely on their batons and flashlights back then, but then again I have no idea how the law was back then regarding the carrying of firearms, either.

Apparently this sort of thing "happened" more in the days when the private security business in this country wasn't as controlled and legalized by the interior ministry and police authorities. Or perhaps the law was a bit more laid back about the whole "security guards carrying weapons"-situation, since as I've written a few times before nowadays it is extremely rare for security guards to carry firearms. They're usually reserved for various special assignments and high profile, maximum security sites.

Comment

• Squid
                Banned
                • May 2011

on a different note, I hear that if you DO have gun permit it isn't illegal for you

to 'carry' (if your company has the required insurance?), it is just a 'policy'.

That sounds right because I've been in situations where to 'carry' or not was passed over cell phone call.

And it is "my ass" out there, not "management". (yeah, I know the right thing to do would be to quit).

Comment

• Lawson
                  • Jan 2006

I havent read the law in a while, but out here in WA, if I remember correctly, carrying a firearm on an unarmed license is a gross misdemeanor. A concealed pistol license wouldnt exempt you from prosecution.

I dont know how a guard would fair if they had an armed license working an unarmed post, probably just fired.
                  "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                  "The Curve" 1998

Comment

• Nauticus
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Squid
                    to 'carry' (if your company has the required insurance?), it is just a 'policy'.

That sounds right because I've been in situations where to 'carry' or not was passed over cell phone call.

And it is "my ass" out there, not "management". (yeah, I know the right thing to do would be to quit).
                    If you are unable to abide by a company's policy, why should a patron give a damn when you try and enforce a client's policy?

Comment

• Trunk Monkey
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Squid
                      on a different note, I hear that if you DO have gun permit it isn't illegal for you

In Colorado your permit status is irrelevant. you are either a licensed armed guard or you are not.

Comment

• tanko
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by Nauticus
                        If you are unable to abide by a company's policy, why should a patron give a damn when you try and enforce a client's policy?
                        +2

Not only that, but I could imagine the lawyers would argue that point as well.
                        sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

• rumarudrathas
                          • Mar 2012

Funny I stumbled upon this thread this late at night.

Guess who's taking over an unarmed post from an Officer, who had a bright idea to show off his personal side arm inside the client's office building without a license to carry (Professionally AND as a civilian)?

*points at me* This guy. I love show offs and idiots like that; it gives me a measure of job security.

Then again, there is a famous documented story of the same Officer pulling a 12 gauge on a drunkard who happened to be 'relieving himself' all over the Officer's truck.

Comment

• Trunk Monkey
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by rumarudrathas
                            Funny I stumbled upon this thread this late at night.

Guess who's taking over an unarmed post from an Officer, who had a bright idea to show off his personal side arm inside the client's office building without a license to carry (Professionally AND as a civilian)?
                            Just to clarify on duty or not unless you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces or a sworn peace officer you are a civilian

Originally posted by rumarudrathas
                            Then again, there is a famous documented story of the same Officer pulling a 12 gauge on a drunkard who happened to be 'relieving himself' all over the Officer's truck.
                            IDK, if some one was pissing on my truck I'd be tempted to respond in a similar fashion

Comment

• WVGuy
                              • May 2012

Actually a "sworn police officer" is also a civilian.
                              Law enforcement, fire, and EMS all use "civilian" to depict non members but it is inaccurate.

Now as to being armed when not supposed to be...
                              One of my posts is an armed remote patrol.
                              I mean checking places back on top of hills and other remote areas.
                              Every now and then I come across a guard from some company or the other
                              that has been assigned to guard some equipment or other in these areas.
                              Most of them have in mind about bears and such which you do see them often.
                              Several have mentioned they have thought about carrying a gun because of the bears.
                              I advised them not to but see about getting pepper spray, better lights etc from their companies.
                              (One guy didn't even have a flashlight).

just my 2 cents

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...