+ Reply to Thread

Default 911 calls from a cell phone

This has probably been covered before, but my co-worker had a recent situation that calls for a reminder. If you call 911 from your cell phone (at least in our state), you may or may not have your call go to that city's emergency services. It could also go to the county sheriff or even the state police dispatch center.

Even with GPS, know the physical address (as opposed to the mailing address) of where you are. The site that I work on has a few buildings that have no address other than the generic one for the company. Needless to say, this doesn't do so well in an emergency.

If Google Earth or similar apps don't give you a good answer, you may have to speak to your local FD or the assessor's office. Trust me, a bit of effort now will pay off huge later when minutes count...
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 05-05-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling

when i worked in the.city i had each distric stations #. I also.had the.direct # to boston pd dispatch so i didn't.have to go through MSP. Seconds count, and you never realize how much until you're in that one situation. My phones location shows up as NY sometimes even though im clearly in MA so this is definitely a good post to keep in mind.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.