+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last

Default Should your company have the right to check on you, at home?

We have a field supervisor that is a bit overzealous. I recently had an emergency during a storm that resulted in a large 110 oak fall on my house resulting in some damage, loss of power and phone service. I called in advising I would be unavailable for a few days. Shortly after that my SV showed up and asked why I was not coming in.

Excuse me, tree on my house!?

It kind of did not set well with me on that. I think he acted on his own but and I contacted my area mgr about it and advised him that I thought that was a a little ridiculous. This SV has a history of "spying" on employees but mostly on job sites. Though I have noting to worry about I think unless you are a problem employee SV's or the company should not be snooping on people trying to catch them at something.

But I think it brings up a good question. Are you subject to being checked on by your company when not working whether your off duty, sick or have an legitimate emergency? Working a high end posiiton perhaps with a security clearance or related might justify it. But as a common guard I think the company needs to mind their own business.

Thoughts?
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-If you try to shoot the messenger, this one shoots back

-It's just a job kid, deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

While at work the boss has every right, in fact, a duty to check up on you. They would be negligent if they did not. at home, they have a right to see if that oak fell on your house. So long as they are on public property or a place that they have a legal right to be. I would have done it differently. I probably went to check if you were ok and ask hey Can I see where that tree hit?

Granted, good point about at work.

But when they go ahead and start snooping around before asking, that's a little to much. In which this is what happened. I came around the back of the house to access what needed to be done for the next few days and there he was in my back yard. I don't know it kind of felt like he was more self indulgent or curious than doing a well being check.

Now if he starts driving by the house now and then I'm thinking stalker.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-If you try to shoot the messenger, this one shoots back

-It's just a job kid, deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Default Should Your Company Have The Right To Check On You At Home?

I come from a law enforcement background and I have heard of police departments that verify officers are sick when they call in sick. Ironically, many employers have gone the other way and merged sick time and vacation time into personal leave. Supposedly studies have been done that show there is less abuse of personal leave since it can be used for anything.
    Last edited by Jim1348; 05-03-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Details

Nope.

Course, last time I was sick I was near to needing be transported to the hospital, but I digress... Simply because I cannot afford to be out from work for as little as a day; but then again, my nearest supervisor is at least an hour away and I can't see justifying a drive that far on the company dime just to see if I'm lying about it or not...

That and my company knows as I'm a senior officer with 6 years, only time I will call in is if I'm just this side of dying...
    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Quote Originally Posted by Echos13 View Post
    Granted, good point about at work.

But when they go ahead and start snooping around before asking, that's a little to much. In which this is what happened. I came around the back of the house to access what needed to be done for the next few days and there he was in my back yard. I don't know it kind of felt like he was more self indulgent or curious than doing a well being check.

Now if he starts driving by the house now and then I'm thinking stalker.

sounds like he was trespassing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Echos13 View Post
    We have a field supervisor that is a bit overzealous. I recently had an emergency during a storm that resulted in a large 110 oak fall on my house resulting in some damage, loss of power and phone service. I called in advising I would be unavailable for a few days. Shortly after that my SV showed up and asked why I was not coming in.

Excuse me, tree on my house!?

It kind of did not set well with me on that. I think he acted on his own but and I contacted my area mgr about it and advised him that I thought that was a a little ridiculous. This SV has a history of "spying" on employees but mostly on job sites. Though I have noting to worry about I think unless you are a problem employee SV's or the company should not be snooping on people trying to catch them at something.

But I think it brings up a good question. Are you subject to being checked on by your company when not working whether your off duty, sick or have an legitimate emergency? Working a high end posiiton perhaps with a security clearance or related might justify it. But as a common guard I think the company needs to mind their own business.

Thoughts?
    NO !!!!!!

Don't even think about walking on my property. I have called out sick once in ten years
    You check just once for a trusted employee and you and I say bye bye

On the job, your within your rights to check if I have on clean shorts, but
    at my home? Stay off my property!
    HS will probably give me a big hug for my views
    Last edited by copelandamuffy; 05-03-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Default Should Your Company Have The Right To Check On You At Home?

On a related note about off duty behavior, the police department that I formerly worked for enacted a Tobacco Use Policy for new officers hired after I was hired. The new officers agreed to have absolutely NO use of tobacco on duty or off duty. That included cigars, cigarettes, pipes, chewing tobacco, etc. Some people were pretty upset about this and felt the city had no business in regulating behavior like that when an officer was off duty.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Were you hurt? Why did you need to stay home? In the late 90's Quebec was hit by a massive ice storm in the iddle of the winter. My house was without power for 2 weeks. It got down to 40C in the house. I went to work. What could I or you do at your house?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    What could I or you do at your house?
    Find someway make our wives warmer. That exercise is suppose to generate heat
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!