+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I may give a pass to a company checking on you if you have an insurance claim your hurt on the job, and your company obseves you playing Center for the Phoenix Coyotes Hockey team
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Neither of my employers does anything like that. From my experience, the Federal government is lenient as long as

you have annual leave or sick leave, whichever is appropriate for your situation. After you call in, you're done.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
    - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
    — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Were you hurt? Why did you need to stay home? In the late 90's Quebec was hit by a massive ice storm in the iddle of the winter. My house was without power for 2 weeks. It got down to 40C in the house. I went to work. What could I or you do at your house?
    Concerning that I had to call my insurance person by going next door. No power, no phone and I my cell phone had met an unfortunate demise two days before and could not get a replacement for a week (metropos). The tree was putting pressure on my roof and could cause further damage so I stayed home those days to monitor it till it could get cut away (emergency tree service would not respond till the insurance people said go, red tape, blah). Once removed I had to tarp it because insurance clauses in Florida state that if you make no effort to cover roof damage and it rains you are default on your responsibility to prevent further damage. Power could not be restored till a part in a certain area was removed. When you leave it to people to go unchecked working on your property. Being absent in my experience things can get screwed up by them and if your not there to document it, it causes further headaches with the insurance people. Being present makes them do their job right, and if they mess up your right there to document it with pictures and witness statements.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-If you try to shoot the messenger, this one shoots back

-It's just a job kid, deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Quote Originally Posted by Echos13 View Post
    Concerning that I had to call my insurance person by going next door. No power, no phone and I my cell phone had met an unfortunate demise two days before and could not get a replacement for a week (metropos). The tree was putting pressure on my roof and could cause further damage so I stayed home those days to monitor it till it could get cut away (emergency tree service would not respond till the insurance people said go, red tape, blah). Once removed I had to tarp it because insurance clauses in Florida state that if you make no effort to cover roof damage and it rains you are default on your responsibility to prevent further damage. Power could not be restored till a part in a certain area was removed. When you leave it to people to go unchecked working on your property. Being absent in my experience things can get screwed up by them and if your not there to document it, it causes further headaches with the insurance people. Being present makes them do their job right, and if they mess up your right there to document it with pictures and witness statements.
    Sorry HS, but I side with Echo 13. I feel his pain. Hurricane Gloria, Bob, and Tropical Storm Irene
    I wanted to be home. If someone can cover for me if possible. Next to my family, my home is of most important
    And if my company doesn't like tuff beans. I quit. I'll go somewhere else

Default I'm a strict 'sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander' believer.

If your boss can 'check up' you then it must be OK for you to 'check up on him' as long as both are within the law.

If the boss feels he has interest in your off work personal life because his livelihood might be affected you certainly have right to check up on his personal life.

You and your employer have an equal business relationship (besides labor laws).

If he can fire you without notice or 'drop your hours' or 'lay you off' or whatever without severance pay then you may quit without notice and forfeit any of that severance pay you weren't going to get anyway.

Many employers will get all indignat and feel you 'owe them loyalty' or whatever, but they owe you nothing of the sort.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Things like your situation bug me. Probably because I'm a boss of a very small department & when someone has to take time off & usually have to cover the shift. (EG I have to work to replace someone tomorrow night). I've had 2 employees who have booked off because their girlfriend's parent was sick. We don't have personnal days, only sick days.

And Cope it is nice to hear that the economy in Boston has improved so much that a person in his 60s can find a job that easily. Obama must be doing a good job.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

This is probably state and employer dependent, but short of being sick for more than three days there should be no reason to have any check by the employer themselves in my opinion. I understand having a required doctors note for extended periods of sick leave (more than three days). I understand a welfare check by a police department if you haven't called in for several days, and you can't be reached. In sensitive security positions, I can definitely understand having integrity checks done by qualified personnel if espionage risk related behavior is suspected.

It's my belief the supervisor you mentioned was not trying to help you, but to find reason to badmouth you to the higher ups for his own benefit. You handled it well. If I were you, I would bring in photographs of the damage and post them on your locker to let the other employees know you weren't screwing around. Because I have the distinct feeling your supervisor will continue to badmouth you to the lower ranks since he now can't do it to the higher-ups.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

[QUOTE=HotelSecurity;133765
    And Cope it is nice to hear that the economy in Boston has improved so much that a person in his 60s can find a job that easily. Obama must be doing a good job.[/QUOTE]

You crossed the line on this on HS???????? Every day, and I do mean every day I am in communication with my crew.
    My job is always, on the burner. ALWAYS!!!

I have roses and job well done, by my company and the ciient many times during the month

Tropical storm Irene blew through here about Sunday morning in the wee hours of the morning.
    I was home, but on the phone checking on my Officer. We lost power down at the gatehouse
    A few hours later my wife and I drove 30 miles to check on my Officer to see if he was okay
    I made sure a few hours later he had a generator

It also might interest you to know December 26, 2010 we were slammed with a bad snow storm
    I releived my officer 7 hours early and stayed 30 hours. My home was subjected to ice, snow, brutal
    winds. My 24 year old son was home, so I was not concerned about whether my wife was okay

Christmas morning I call the gatehouse and wish my guy or gal a Merry Christmas
    And I have had the same crew for 8 years. I kind think they like me
    Working in contract security, other account managers call me for extra help because they know
    I do good work.
    I care about my job, BUT, when when it comes to my job vs. my family and my home, my job loses
    If I have to be home for whatever reason, illness, someone sick, home damaged, and some yahoo
    from my company stops at my home to verify I am not goofing off, we part company

I have been peeved at comments made at this forum, but you just topped yourself

Don't ever challange me on my work and my job, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Obama, your President, not mine. George Clooney is having a fund raiser for Obama. Your donatios are welcome
    Last edited by copelandamuffy; 05-05-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by copelandamuffy View Post
    You crossed the line on this on HS???????? Every day, and I do mean every day I am in communication with my crew.
    My job is always, on the burner. ALWAYS!!!

I have roses and job well done, by my company and the ciient many times during the month

Tropical storm Irene blew through here about Sunday morning in the wee hours of the morning.
    I was home, but on the phone checking on my Officer. We lost power down at the gatehouse
    A few hours later my wife and I drove 30 miles to check on my Officer to see if he was okay
    I made sure a few hours later he had a generator

It also might interest you to know December 26, 2010 we were slammed with a bad snow storm
    I releived my officer 7 hours early and stayed 30 hours. My home was subjected to ice, snow, brutal
    winds. My 24 year old son was home, so I was not concerned about whether my wife was okay

Christmas morning I call the gatehouse and wish my guy or gal a Merry Christmas
    And I have had the same crew for 8 years. I kind think they like me
    Working in contract security, other account managers call me for extra help because they know
    I do good work.
    I care about my job, BUT, when when it comes to my job vs. my family and my home, my job loses
    If I have to be home for whatever reason, illness, someone sick, home damaged, and some yahoo
    from my company stops at my home to verify I am not goofing off, we part company

I have been peeved at comments made at this forum, but you just topped yourself

Don't ever challange me on my work and my job, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Obama, your President, not mine. George Clooney is having a fund raiser for Obama. Your donatios are welcome
    Mr. Cope.

You made this statement: "And if my company doesn't like tuff beans. I quit. I'll go somewhere else." . My post was a comment on this. Your statement made it sound like it is easy to find another job. I don't believe it is. I made my post in a sarcastic way but you & I like to joke with each other & I'm sorry you took it wrong this time.

My challange was on your statement not on your job, work ethic etc. Sheeee
    Last edited by HotelSecurity; 05-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

HS: Let's not get into a peeing contest. I do not take my job with a "devel may care"
    I actuallly look forward on a Monday morning to going back to work

Let me ask this of you. God forbid your Condo burned to the ground. You and your bride were in need
    to find a new home. Jane Smith stood in for you while you did this. Jack Jones your boss stopped
    by your burned down condo checking whether your fibbing, and a trusted guy like yourself, would you be
    annoyed? I would

Know go check on my comments on Golf at off topics.