Default Loss Prevention......stealing?

Tonight is going to be a first for me. I am going to interview one of my guys for theft of merchandise. He is part time and works at night. His closing partner noticed that the crooked LP never zoned the cameras at night or set them to the overnight a pattern. Instead, the cameras were left pointed at the floor or ceiling. It didn't take long to catch him by reviewing the covert in the LP office.

Anyone interviewed a dirty LP or SO? Being my first I'm going to treat it like any other employee interview and resist the urge to strangle him as now our whole department will have a tarnish mark. Any advice?

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

I hope other members of your team don't read this public forum. They now know there is a covert camera in their office.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

The camera is coming down after this investigation. We rarely keep coverts in play more than one or two weeks and once investigation is done we move it.

We have overt cameras in the cctv room, detention room and hallway leading to LP office.

I've interviewed many LP staff members. They are no different to interview except if they have years of experience doing interviews themselves they can be tougher. Use the scenario of loss of credibility. The worst that can happen to someone in our business is loss of credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    I hope other members of your team don't read this public forum. They now know there is a covert camera in their office.
    From his posts I've read i haven't pinned down where he works or what region he's in. What i have gathered is he is indeed a professional and I'm sure he wouldn't compromise himself or an investigation.

While working at the rink, the owner had many people interview with me and then hired (even against me sayin NO). THose were primarily the ones I ended up firing or catching in the wrong. As director of security I did have the chance to interview people from other depts. such as snack bar and sales which was always fun seeing how they usually didn't know who i was.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

We resolved the investigation successfully. We received full payback on admission.

Thanks for the kind words zm.

Curtis, I did use the credibility rationalization and it worked. Actually an easy interview.

Quote Originally Posted by capurato View Post
    We resolved the investigation successfully. We received full payback on admission.

Thanks for the kind words zm.

Curtis, I did use the credibility rationalization and it worked. Actually an easy interview.
    That one normally works.

Glad it worked out for you. Now its time to start to rebuild. At least you got an internal though!

Default what is the "credibility rationalization"? Is that where you say the only way he can

'regain his credibility' is to admit he was stealing?

What was back up plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    'regain his credibility' is to admit he was stealing?

What was back up plan?
    It has nothing to do with the suspect "regaining his credibility." It's about how they can deal with their loss of credibility. Capurato was dealing with an LP staff member who was stealing. One of the things a security, loss prevention or asset protection officer who is stealing fears most, about being caught, is the loss of credibility amongst their peers and family. This is due to the position of trust their position places them in. Using an appropriate rationalization helps belay those fears and make confessing easier.