+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

[QUOTE=TOII;133637]what to do with 2,000 arrestees...put them in a camp like they do in Phoenix and hold them till the riots are over or they are tried whichever comes first. Bring in judges and lawyers from all over Canada to speed it up. While were at it, bring in RCMPD and other officers from around the country. 2,000 can be dealt with. Just stay safe, you cant help others if you can't protect yourself.[/QUOTE}

Excellent. Harsh fines. Stiff jail sentances. 5 year locked up
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

The problem about bringing in police, judges & lawyers fromacross Canada is that in Canada you have the right of a trial in either of the 2 offical languages. 90% of the protesters are French speaking. 95% of the police, judges & lawyers outside of Quebec don't speak French.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

3rd nights of the night time protested tonight. Started at 20h30. Ended just after 1. At the height over 7000 marhers today. A few arrests made for vandalism. (1 or 2 windows of businesses). They went on the streets behind my hotel tonight.

The police are working extremely long hours but I heard something near the end of the protest tonight that shows they can still have a sense of humour. An Officer reports that an egg has been thrown & hit one of them. He then goes on the say that the Officer is ok, but the egg was totaled! The supervisor then says "I know it came from a chicken, but did anyone see who threw it?"

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    The problem about bringing in police, judges & lawyers fromacross Canada is that in Canada you have the right of a trial in either of the 2 offical languages. 90% of the protesters are French speaking. 95% of the police, judges & lawyers outside of Quebec don't speak French.
    I understand the dilemma...Still not a problem as far as police go...only the judges and the lawyers...That is when you get interpreters.

HS, our nations' legal systems and natures are so different (especially in my little corner of the US), I don't know what to tell ya that'd be useful to you. I know what would happen here (my immediate thought was to address these "protests" like we did the LA riots in '92...), but that certainly doesn't apply in Montreal, Quebec, or even in Canada.

All I know for sure is that I'm glad you're safe and well... at least at the time of your last post.

Turtle-up and keep your doors shut tight, Bud.
    "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by 5423 View Post
    HS, our nations' legal systems and natures are so different (especially in my little corner of the US), I don't know what to tell ya that'd be useful to you. I know what would happen here (my immediate thought was to address these "protests" like we did the LA riots in '92...), but that certainly doesn't apply in Montreal, Quebec, or even in Canada.

All I know for sure is that I'm glad you're safe and well... at least at the time of your last post.

Turtle-up and keep your doors shut tight, Bud.
    How did they stop the LA riots.

As for the demonstrations. It's a fine line. In Canada & the US you have the right to peacefully assemble & protest your government. I doubt Cope or anyone else would be in favour of arresting people at a Tea party rally for example.

Last night the police made "targeted arrests". Even though they declared the march illegal a few hours after it started & after things were thrown out them they only arrested the peopkle they caught throwing the things.

I don't know of any Tea Party event that was riotous or even declared to be an unlawful assembly so the comparison doesn't work. As far as the riots in LA are concerned, Officers from all over the state and the National Guard were called in to quell it. I know quite a few stories about what happened some of which are not common knowledge. Lets just say It ended just after the Marines were called in.

Quote Originally Posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    How did they stop the LA riots.

As for the demonstrations. It's a fine line. In Canada & the US you have the right to peacefully assemble & protest your government. I doubt Cope or anyone else would be in favour of arresting people at a Tea party rally for example.

Last night the police made "targeted arrests". Even though they declared the march illegal a few hours after it started & after things were thrown out them they only arrested the peopkle they caught throwing the things.
    Note the two words you stated peacefully assemble. Your correct I do suppport peacefull assemble
    The Tea Party did just that in Boston. Peacefully assemble. Anyone, and I mean anyone could walk up
    to any Tea Party and talk with them. They did not trash the place, the Boston Common where they assembled was cleaner than before they got there. They were permitted to assemble and go home at 1800 hours, which they did
    Yes the Boston Police were there. Now what the biggest problem the BPD dealt with when the Tea Party
    assembled? Boredom

Now for the Occupy Boston group. Defacting in public. I already mentioned what some where calling working
    women walking into Corporate Offices. Sex out in the open. In Oakland smashing of windows, and spray painting
    of buidlings. Didn't you mention there was open fires in Montreal

Let's be homesty HS. You know a lot of us over the years through this forum. I'd bet most of us { 5423, ZM 88. Curtis. your cousing ST sorry I couldn't help myself }would be on the side of the Tea Party. Do we appear
    like radicals? You can put this in your pipe. If were pernitted to demonstrate in downtown Montreal and
    must go home at 1,700 hours. At 1701 you could not find any of us. We would not pee in the streets
    We would not have sex out in the open with Miss May Centerfold of Playboy magazine. { Our wives would shoot us}
    Who would you prefer having demonstrate near your Hotel, us or them?
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Maybe I've mis stated it or the coverage shown on TV has focused on it but there have been 3 nights of these marches now. Each night over 5,000 people have marched. A handfull of store windows were broken & abou3 cars damaged. The march has been 99.999% peaceful. It's the anarchists that are doing the damage. It was encouraging last night, the crowd started to poilice it'self. When one of them (a girl) broke the window of the Canadian Forces Recruting Centre she was surround by the crowd & booed etc. She has to run away. Once thing about the anarchists is that they are wearing masks making it easy for the police to spot & keep an eye on them.

Our mayor tried to pass a law making it illegal to wear a mask during a demonstration but the courts did not allow it. This would be a good tool for the police. They could become more pro active.

As for the earlier suggestion of hiring translators for the thousands of trial if everyone was arrested, there are not enough of them. Not enough court rooms & the costs of the trials would be more than the money raised by the tutition increses.

Quote Originally Posted by TOII View Post
    I don't know of any Tea Party event that was riotous or even declared to be an unlawful assembly so the comparison doesn't work. As far as the riots in LA are concerned, Officers from all over the state and the National Guard were called in to quell it. I know quite a few stories about what happened some of which are not common knowledge. Lets just say It ended just after the Marines were called in.
    Well said.

Yes, we 'Mericans have the right to peaceful assembly... and the government retains the right and responsibility to oversee those assemblies and decide whether they're peaceful or not. The right to peaceful assembly, freedom of speach, et al, does NOT in any way give us (here in the US) the right to endanger or damage either life or property.

The '92 LA riots were stopped by the reasonable, selective and judicious application of appropriate force: a massive response by law enforcement cooperators (I came from 100 miles away, and was considered one of the "local" responders) augmented by military reinforcement with very specific (but highly effective) rules of engagement, which, in essence, matched the force continuum LE lives by.

As TOII said, the streets were empty within about 18 hours of that order being transmitted. Apparently, nobody wanted to wrestle with a platoon in full battle-rattle.
    "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous