+ Reply to Thread

Default Denver MGL Armed Guard Requirement

Hello,

This is my first post and my question is simple does anyone know if Denver requires a firearms endorsement on your MGL to work as an armed guard?

If someone could post a municipal ordinance it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Real easy, go to the City of Denver's website and look up their city ordiances. That will explain in detail what you can and cannot have (I love how at they mention you can have a folding knife). The short answer is yes you must be licensed specifically to carry. Don't play games with Denver, they have the strictest firearms ordinances in the state. When the State tried to challenge a few of their laws in court, the state supreme court ruled in favor the of the city, whatever you plan on doing, ensure its up to their code.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithSDavid View Post
    Real easy, go to the City of Denver's website and look up their city ordiances. That will explain in detail what you can and cannot have (I love how at they mention you can have a folding knife). The short answer is yes you must be licensed specifically to carry. Don't play games with Denver, they have the strictest firearms ordinances in the state. When the State tried to challenge a few of their laws in court, the state supreme court ruled in favor the of the city, whatever you plan on doing, ensure its up to their code.
    I looked every where and could not find the ordiance could you give me a link?

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10257 The specific Municipal code you are looking for is 42-137 Firearms, the Merchant guard license requirements fall under the Police department. It specificially states that the Police Chief must approve use of firearms by private security.

I see you have made comments about working in the Springs, I don't know how CSPD is or the city for that matter is on dealing with firearms. Denver doesn't play games, they have the strictest laws in the state and even challenged the state's open carry law and won in court. I highly suggest you learn and love the municipal code in reference to firearms in Denver, not just for when carrying on duty, but off. I know Denver can be real culture shock, especially for someone like me living up North where generally speak LE is okay with citizens using, carrying, etc of firearms so long as it is in a responsible manner. It's like Denver doesn't trust anyone but cops with firearms, which is odd because their DA generally interupts "Make My Day" incidents in a similar manner to the rest of the state. A few years ago the DA decided not to press charges against a person who shot at three intruders, killing one of them on his porch. There was quite a debate up here as to whether or not the DA would go for charges. The DA decided the case was covered by the Make My Day law let the homeowner off the hook. Anyways best of luck working Denver, I know the wages generally suck down there.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithSDavid View Post
    http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10257 The specific Municipal code you are looking for is 42-137 Firearms, the Merchant guard license requirements fall under the Police department. It specificially states that the Police Chief must approve use of firearms by private security.

I see you have made comments about working in the Springs, I don't know how CSPD is or the city for that matter is on dealing with firearms. Denver doesn't play games, they have the strictest laws in the state and even challenged the state's open carry law and won in court. I highly suggest you learn and love the municipal code in reference to firearms in Denver, not just for when carrying on duty, but off. I know Denver can be real culture shock, especially for someone like me living up North where generally speak LE is okay with citizens using, carrying, etc of firearms so long as it is in a responsible manner. It's like Denver doesn't trust anyone but cops with firearms, which is odd because their DA generally interupts "Make My Day" incidents in a similar manner to the rest of the state. A few years ago the DA decided not to press charges against a person who shot at three intruders, killing one of them on his porch. There was quite a debate up here as to whether or not the DA would go for charges. The DA decided the case was covered by the Make My Day law let the homeowner off the hook. Anyways best of luck working Denver, I know the wages generally suck down there.
    In Colorado Springs you must have a firearms endorsement on your MGL and be assigned to an armed site to carry a firearm on site, it's pretty clear. I asked this question in response to some idiot on another forum that tried to tell me that his MGL allows him to open carry off duty in Denver.

I am familiar w/ denvers carry laws and I pretty much stay out of the PDRoD if at all possible.

Wage do suck down here but I work for the city contractor so we actually make about 50% above scale

Thanks for helping me out

I have a friend that owns a security company in Denver and it is a mess.....you can ask three different people and get three different answers. What Kieth posted is correct, in Denver proper it is contengent upon approval of the chief of police.