+ Reply to Thread

Default Intelligence experience

Hi Everyone I am new to the forum and would like to ask a question. I am interested in pursuing a masters degree in intelligence management, the problem is i do not have any experience in intelligence other than just studing things myself does anyone have suggestions for getting a foot in the door in this field...as a civilian?

There are number of colleges that have degree programs in the intelligence filed. One such program is at the American Military University. My son is pursuing a Ph.D in the intelligence field. His track was 6 years MI in the Army, 2 years with private contractors and now with the FBI. This was the field of choice for him and he carefully planned his academic approach. I'm not saying you can't do it without the background, but it sure will be a tougher road to follow.

i was thinking the same thing, that most employers would seek someone with the background/real life experience over just degrees especially in a field like that. Was always something that interested me though
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

You might research Stratfor - they are a private intelligence think tank that provides reports and evaluations to Fortune 500 companies and others. You still may need to pursue government or LE experience, but positions in "private intelligence" do exist - any company that has a global presence has it as part of their security operations.

If you're good at computers, you might start in cybersecurity and see if there is a way to move lateral.

Thanks for the input everyone. I do have a very strong background in computers my B.S. is in Information Systems. It is hard to move laterally once you get branded as a computer guy though. I think Im just gonna go navy reserve while persuing my masters, as an officer Ill get the field and management experience I need to be what I want to be as a civilian, I was just seeing if anyone had any advice to guide me in a different direction.