Quote Originally Posted by copelandamuffy View Post
    We have kicked this subject around, and around.

99% of the Nation wide Contract Security businesses do this
    They have branch offices from Boston to Dallas, to Pittsburg to Phoenix
    We know who they are.

No PERSONAL day off

No sick days.

No Bereavement Day

No pay for Jury Duty. Although Many States, require employers to compensate the employees to pay for days serving as Juror. But these companies can be sneaky. Jury duty on Thursday. Not a problem . They shift your schedule to weekends

Most only have limited Paid Holiday, and they are Federal Holidays, and you have to work that day to be paid for the holiday

Pay is tuff. Check Craig’s list for Security Jobs from Boston to Phoenix. Chump Change
    And yes indeed they do have their share of chumps

Oh yes there is no doubt you can make it to the Stars. But at a cost. A few weeks ago the
    Field Supervisor/ Road Supervisor stopped by the gatehouse in the evening. Not just my account he works with, but probably 15-20 other accounts South of Boston. Betcha his phone rang “4” times in the 15 minutes he visited with me. Book offs, No shows, etc.
    After the 2nd call the phone I would have been tossed in the river.

I went for a ride with our Branch/District Manager one day. Phone call after Phone call
    I am too old and too ugly to take on that job. What’s they say? Stress is a killer
    I want to be around to take my Grand Daughter to the Ocean and make sand castles

That is my beef against employers And as mentioned, I have worked at sites at where the side of the building is your bathroom, or you sit in your car all night and the temperature is 5 above zero.
    cope, was the field superbisor andre or damon?

'Harry' from my post in guards behaving badly, use to.get the payroll at the end.of the night and sign.for it and distribute it to the staff. I flipped out at the owner.for.recieving 9,10$ a hour for tge.past 2 years and.told them i was leaving. The look on their face when they told.me they gave harry enough to pay us 12/hour each will never leave my mind.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Quote Originally Posted by zm88 View Post
    cope, was the field superbisor andre or damon?

I PM whom this is. Thanks !!
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    This is why I always carried a roll of TP in the trunk of my car. I still do.

TP clean wipes,water and other assorted necessities, Inc. no doze.

Default Paycheck roulette

Worked for one company where pay day was a mad scramble to cash your check before the money ran out - in the last three months they were in business if you weren't in the first 2/3s of the guards paid, your check was worthless until they put more money in the account, whenever that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    a high tech office and was supposed to call in every hour.

I dozed off and 4 hours later patrol came by to do a check.

I could have been dead and thieves 1/2 to Brazil by the time patrol stopped by. Of course nothing was mentioned to client.

Being as patrol didn't know what to look for regarding the platinum and the machine, I wonder what would have happened if they hadn't found me. My guess is they would assume I was "on break" and come back in four hours.
    Are you seriously complaining that you fell asleep and your employer caught you?

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

a high tech office and was supposed to call in every hour.

I could have been dead and thieves 1/2 to Brazil by the time patrol stopped by. Of course nothing was mentioned to client.
    You slept half of your shift and youy feel that you have a gripe against your employer?

Did they actually find you asleep?

Had it been the company I work for you would have been fired on the spot no questions asked.

Default Yes, I fell asleep. Thats one issue.

Another issue is that when someone who is guarding over $2 million in valuable untraceable metal, unarmed, with nothing but a office door between him and the outside, all alone, suddenly stops checking in NOTHING HAPPENED.

Upon 'sizing up' the situation at first I did secret myself in a office a few doors down from the machine with the metal, just in case.

Another issue is that when someone who is guarding over $2 million in valuable untraceable metal, unarmed, with nothing but a office door between him and the outside, all alone,
    All of which sreams to me that you shouldn't have fallen asleep.

suddenly stops checking in NOTHING HAPPENED.
    You're right, what should have happened is you should have been terminated on the spot.

My employer regularly seems to have trouble trying to inform us of new guys coming in to do practise shifts at the different sites. It is a bit annoying to find a new guy or gal knocking on your door one day and find out that you have to train him or her to the site, which is all OK as long as you're allowed to prepare yourself for it mentally.

Secondly, the payroll is missing money at regular intervals. At times I'm not sure if the missing money is because no one has bothered to punch in my overtime hours etc. extra work to the database, or is the salary department just trying to find out if I'm stupid enough not to notice the missing money from my monthly salary.

Both of these possibilities make me develop mistrust towards the management.

I always do get my missing wages, but the sheer idea of those human resources people messing up the calculations once again makes you disappointed. One of the so-called free tips I give new employees that I meet is that one should always check the payroll very carefully following each two-week period and especially at the end of each month.

Not getting your pay in its' correct amount has to be in my opinion the worst kind of mismanagement that the company can and will commit.

A few times when I've been sick and have had to go to work despite it I've literally fought with myself not to fall asleep. I've never fallen asleep, but have had to drink alot of coffee and do regular foot patrols across the site to keep awake. Going outside to catch some fresh air also often helps one to keep awake.

Falling asleep on the job is one of the worst mistakes one can commit, but from what I've seen it is quite common. I've caught my older colleagues doing this alot.

The reality in your case is, however, that you shouldn't have fallen asleep despite the odds and conditions. Catching a security guard dozing off is indeed one big, fat cardinal mistake- quite often leading to termination of employment.
    Last edited by Jaeger; 04-28-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Things that can get you sued or killed.