Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Echos13
    • Sep 2005

Duty belt pressure relief

I am considering one of these, after trying foam padding and other ideas under my uniform pants and still getting nerve pinching this might be worth it. Thought I would share this with everyone and see what you think. It's a little expensive but it beats going to a neurologist and chiropractor long term.

The only concealed duty belt suspenders available on the market. They function like regular suspenders, but these are designed to be worn UNDER the shirt. Our suspenders have relieved symptoms such as back pain, knee pain, foot pain, kidney pressure, headaches, sleep loss, fatigue, hip bruising, and leg numbness.
    My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other
  • Jim1348
    • Dec 2010

The Back Defender

Let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

• tanko
      • May 2008

Unfortunately, I know how you feel with the back problems with a duty belt.

I had such serious back problems I almost went to a doctor, and I'm in my twenties!

I don't know what gear you carry, or how your duty belt set up is, but I shifted my gear to the front and evenly distributed the weight. I got rid of my two handcuff pouches on my back, and put a double handcuff pouch on the front of my belt. I put my radio more on my non-dominate side instead of an angle. Some of the gear, like the utility pouch and key holder, I got rid of. Another thing I did was make sure the belt wasn't too tight as I would gain weight after lunch. Within a couple of days the pain went away.

You might want to also look into Bianchi's Ergotek duty belts, and Bianchi's padded belt liner (Model 4320) as they have helped me in the past with my hips.

Either way, I hope the pain stops for you.
      sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by tanko
        ... I don't know what gear you carry, or how your duty belt set up is, but I shifted my gear to the front and evenly distributed the weight... You might want to also look into Bianchi's Ergotek duty belts, and Bianchi's padded belt liner (Model 4320) as they have helped me in the past with my hips...
        All excellent advice there.

I've worn load-bearing belt systems nearly all my adult life; some of those sytems had to carry as much as 40 pounds, for 12-16 hrs/day - on my hips. Ugh.

Found over the years that it ain't so much just the load, or carrying the load on your hips; it's more about how the load is distributed, and the quality of the belt system it's borne by (correct belt width/surface for your frame; adequate under-padding; stability of the system as you walk and move around; etc.)

The only point I'd add to tanko's advice: whenever you change the position of any equipment on your duty belt, ALWAYS spend the time to head out to the range and run some drills incorporating everything you're carryin'. It's a marvel how much just moving one item (such as your backup cuffs) can affect transitions. The time spent is a cheap investment in your personal safety... and it's always nice to have a viable excuse to go "play" a little!
        "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

• Security_K9_Guy
          • Sep 2011

Blackhawk has a similar item. One of our supervisors is considering it

Comment

• Echos13
            • Sep 2005

The back always follows doesn't it? But my biggest issue is my left hip area on the belt line area, I got hurt there from my marathon biking years (bad spill among 25 others). I carry my duty weapon on my right, as you may know the weight is not so much right where it is for the weapon in general. But they way it pulls away from the left as the weight responds to gravity. Thous I get more pain on the left than the right. I considered a shoulder strap but seeing the hazards of being used as a "handle" against you in a struggle, and it being a none compliance uniform accessory it was out of the question.

The county LEO's here can wear suspenders even in full street uniform if they have a note from their Doctor. They wear the same dark green as the uniform so they are rather well blended in. To bad such acceptations could be with my company.

I carry only a duty weapon, loaders, baton and cuffs. So the weight is not too bad, its just some damaged nerves that happen to be in a bad place that bother me. Looking at that padded pants belt, and the TDL Police Duty Belt and Professional Back Support System. If I can just get the pressure off that one side (or both - getting old ) then we can deal with the rest.
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

• tanko
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Echos13
              The back always follows doesn't it? But my biggest issue is my left hip area on the belt line area, I got hurt there from my marathon biking years (bad spill among 25 others). I carry my duty weapon on my right, as you may know the weight is not so much right where it is for the weapon in general. But they way it pulls away from the left as the weight responds to gravity. Thous I get more pain on the left than the right. I considered a shoulder strap but seeing the hazards of being used as a "handle" against you in a struggle, and it being a none compliance uniform accessory it was out of the question.

The county LEO's here can wear suspenders even in full street uniform if they have a note from their Doctor. They wear the same dark green as the uniform so they are rather well blended in. To bad such acceptations could be with my company.

I carry only a duty weapon, loaders, baton and cuffs. So the weight is not too bad, its just some damaged nerves that happen to be in a bad place that bother me. Looking at that padded pants belt, and the TDL Police Duty Belt and Professional Back Support System. If I can just get the pressure off that one side (or both - getting old ) then we can deal with the rest.
              The padded belt liner is really good for revealing pinched back nerves. Until you get the padded belt liner and Ergotek belt, I recommend wearing a couple of extra belts underneath your duty belt. I know someone that wore a liner belt, two other belts, and a duty belt. She had a small waist (24") and was getting back pain from all the gear she had, so she increased her waistline by adding extra belts and it worked. I've tried it and it seems to work for me. Just make sure you properly place your duty keeps so that everything is stays to your waist.

Again, I don't know how your belt setup is but evenly distributing the weight in the front should help you. Also make sure you have enough belt keepers placed properly. A good guide is the Hindi Duty Belt System.

If the padded belt liner and Ergotek duty belt doesn't work you can always try a thigh holster, but if it's not properly placed it will cause more problems with your hip and back.
              sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

• ctbgpo
                • Jun 2006

I finally broke down and purchased the Bianchi Ergo, all I can say is save your pennies, cuz it is truly a back saver !!!!
                That and following the Hindi system will help also. I have used it for about 2 years, and LOVE IT

Comment

• Echos13
                  • Sep 2005

So I assume my review for the TBD is MIA for a rule boo-boo? Or was is relocated.. Ahh, well.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...