Default Fire code confusion

‎"We need the walls to be fire-rated walls, with four return grills in them for air circulation" -- inspector, to a construction friend of mine, whose thought process (not spoken, fortunately) was this: "A fire wall with holes in it, brilliant! What will they think of next, fires that don't burn?"

What's the most senseless or confusing fire code requirement you've been told to do?

Geoff

A customer (private elementary school) once tried to get me to lock the pull stations in the hallways.

Yeah, no.

We put cameras pointed at the pull stations instead.

Once, when I was a young installer, I was at a customer's location doing something totally unrelated (computer jacks, I think), and the customer asked me to disable the fire alarm siren, also because of near-constant false alarms from pull stations.

The fire department got a trouble signal, responded, call the cops AND the Department of Inspections (it was a small town). The township inspector explained to me, very kindly, that that kind of thing is illegal, and if I reconnected the sirens quickly they wouldn't have to arrest me, while the cops stood in the background and laughed their heads off.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Most fire codes require the main alarm panel (the one containing the PA system & internal phones) to be at the entrance to a business. Yet in an hotel if possible, an employee must stay at the front desk to answer the regular phones. With skelton staffs these days it's hard for 1 person to be in 2 places at the same time.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

Quote Originally Posted by SIW Editor View Post
    ‎"We need the walls to be fire-rated walls, with four return grills in them for air circulation" -- inspector, to a construction friend of mine, whose thought process (not spoken, fortunately) was this: "A fire wall with holes in it, brilliant! What will they think of next..."
    Your friend's reaction was absolutely correct: what he's being asked to build is no longer a "fire-rated wall". Any piercings through a fire wall must carry the same fire-rating as the wall itself, or it/they invalidate the integrity of the entire wall. Return-air grills most certainly fall outside the category of any possible fire-rating.

In your friends position, and assuming that he's already committed to the requirement and added expense of building a fire-rated wall there, I'd turf a complaint up to the fire inspector's supervisor, specifically regarding the grills. I can see requiring a non-rated wall with grills... or a rated wall, either without grills, or with some form of fire-rated enclosure around a sealed ventilation ducting system.

Most senseless fire code requirement I've ever experienced? Being told... by the local fire inspector... to disable a dry standpipe/auto-alarm system in a multi-story residential (retirement home) due to multiple accidental false alarms - or we'd be held in contempt for "refusing a lawful order" (!).

I told him to hook me up...
    "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous