Hybrid View

Default is the CA BSIS allowed .45 caliber the .45ACP or .45 Colt?

and where exactly does the BSIS say the 9mm, .40, 38/.357mag and .45 are the only allowed calibers?

I can't say that I know much about CA BSIS, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it is .45 ACP and not .45 Colt. I have a little firearms knowlege, (worked on the sales floor of a gun shop and indoor range about 14 years ago) and the only handgun we ever sold that took .45 Colt were the old western style single action revolvers which are very unlikely to be used in security work. Hope that helps. If I'm wrong, someone else chime in.
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

The Judge revolver takes .45 colt also, but I really don't think security companies would allow a firearm that can also fire .410 slugs lol. My guess that security companies allow .38 sp., 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP because they're the most common calibers. Although around my area, I've mostly have seen .38 special on most Security Officers and once in a while 9mm.
    No, I don't think.
    Nor do I assume, speculate or hypothesise.
    I merely observe.

There are versions of the S&W model 25 & 625 that are chambered for the 45 Long Colt. They would not be my first choice (mainly because I feel the need to have more than six rounds and a quick reload if needed) but they would be a very serviceable duty weapon. I also think there is a version of the Redhawk in 45LC....

It is my understanding that any .45 cal. would work, .45 acp, .45 gap, .45 long colt. The Firearm permit only lists .45

Also, I have not seen anything that limits the caliber you can have. You just have to qualify with each caliber. I know someone that had 5.7 on thier card.

The best way to get the answer to your question would be to contact BSIS 916-322-4000.

Default S Messina, do you know WHO they qualified with for 5.7?

All the places I've talked to are stuck on aforementioned 4 cals, but can't point me to where or why.

I thought you contacted BSIS last time you post similar question last year.

anyway, BSIS issue firearm permit by Caliber.
    BSIS define "Caliber" as "diameter of Bullet" in its webpage.
    When I wanted to carry .380 I contacted both BSIS and CA DOJ because .380 is name/size of Cartridge and diameter of bullet is 9mm which I was already qualified.
    They didn't clearly say "you can carry .380 with 9mm license" but keep saying "Caliber is Diameter of Bullet".
    I said "Diameter of .380 bullet is 9mm and I'm qualified for 9mm"
    They say"if you qualified for 9mm, you can carry 9mm, no matter if it's revolver or pistol, long or short,regular or Magnum"

It took few days to talk both BSIS and DOJ about .380 and 9mm.
    I doubt I might have problem on street with LEO if they say "you are not qualified for .380 on your license".
    So, I took qualification for .380.
    Now .380, 9mm,38, 357, 40, 45 are listed on my firearm permit.

I don't know who said BSIS issue permit for only 9,38,40,45.
    Are they same guys as told you only 4 inch barrel are allowed ?

When you qualify .38, you can carry 38spl, 38 super, any .38 caliber revolver or pistol, short or long cartridge, extra powder, 2inch or 10 inch barrel.
    When I qualified 357, I took my 6" revolver. Nobody said nothing and I got qualification with it.

when you qualify .45 you can carry .45ACP, .45 Colt any .45 caliber handgun.
    Only caliber they won't issue is .50 because it's banned.
    You can qualify .22, .25, .30, 10mm any caliber you want if it's existed.

email to BSIS.
    They will reply quicker than you expect.
    Not many but few chauffeurs are armed to protect clients.

Default that is great news, LA Limo! I happen to have a .380 PPK clone Bersa I bought 'cause

it was the cheapest and smallest gun I thought would qualify as ".38".

There is something on BSIS about not guns "able to be concealed" which is where I think that '4" barrel' comes from, but the Walther PPK was a standard WW2 German officer's EXPOSED sidearm carried on the hip, so I guess it doesn't matter if James Bond carried one 'concealed' and anyways that is "in the Movies". LOL.

I've also been told "exposed" requires carrying the gun 'on the hip' and not a shoulder holster or even exposed thigh or ankle or 'behind the back' carry. Any info on that?

I thought BSIS says "no rim-fire" calibers like .22LR but I can't remember if that was BSIS or "some guy". I'll ask. I was thinking of getting one of those .22 mag revolvers or derringers and carrying in on my belt "exposed". Not my fault if it's size and 'profile' doesn't 'jump out at ya' like a full size gun.

PS-can you tell me who you qualify with in case I can't find anyone here in SF bay area willing to qualify me with the extra calibers?
    Last edited by Squid; 02-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    it was the cheapest and smallest gun I thought would qualify as ".38".
    I don't know if it's good idea to carry .380 with .38 qualification.
    I think you will win if you go court (or BSIS hearing).
    I asked/confirmed with BSIS for carrying .380 with 9mm qualification because my barrel of 84F shows "CAL.9 Short 380 Auto"

Name:  380 9short on 84F.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  60.1 KB

Even so, I have to have long conversation with BSIS and DOJ.
    I imagined that I will have longer conversation with LEO on street.
    if you can carry .380 with .38 license, it's same as you carry 9mm with .38 license.
    I think it's logical and maybe legal but I can't waste time by encounter with LEO when I'm with clients.
    (it's not my time to waste, it's client's time to waste by having conversation with LEO on street)
    So, I took qualification for .380 just to avoid any un-necessarily wasting time on field.

There is something on BSIS about not guns "able to be concealed" which is where I think that '4" barrel' comes from
    I believe all handguns are "Able to be concealed".

I've also been told "exposed" requires carrying the gun 'on the hip' and not a shoulder holster or even exposed thigh or ankle or 'behind the back' carry. Any info on that?
    I think you may have to consider to change source of your information.
    I've never heard most of information you get from your friends include previous post.

* 4 inch barrel limit
    * BSIS issue only 4 calibers (38, 9, 40,45)
    * qualification for .45 is 45ACP or 45 Colt (this is common in BSIS FAQ "revolver or pistol")
    then now "exposed requires hip holster" ????
    That's a good one.
    I didn't even thought about it.

you can carry in ankle holster with shorts (who does anyway)
    shoulder holster without jacket.
    Thigh holster.
    Molle to Tactical Vest.
    carry anyway you like if it's plain view of sight from others.(doesn't include covered by "angle of viewer" i.e. behind of back)
    BSIS (B&P code) doesn't define "Exposed" but penal code define "Concealed".
    if it's not Concealed by PC definition, it's exposed.

[quiote]
    I thought BSIS says "no rim-fire" calibers like .22LR but I can't remember if that was BSIS or "some guy". [/quote]

I think you heard it from "Some guy"

BTW, you didn't mention "Security officers are not allowed to carry replica or un-operable firearm" even he has firearm permit.
    That is true.
    maybe your friends didn't tell you that because it's true.

PS-can you tell me who you qualify with in case I can't find anyone here in SF bay area willing to qualify me with the extra calibers?
    I live in LA.
    I don't think you want to come all the way to So Cal.
    But I'll be surprised if you can't find anybody to give you re-qualification for caliber you want in SF.
    Last edited by Limo LA; 02-24-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Not many but few chauffeurs are armed to protect clients.

Default thanks for the info, LA Limo, I'll be emailing BSIS soon in a One Question Per Email

format. My experience is Govt agencies tend to only answer one question per email.

One of my questions is "what does concealed mean?" or 'is a fully covered gun in a military style holster with flap exposed or concealed?'.

I did call them on the phone once and IIRC then said only 9, .38, ,40 & 45....but that was phone.

At least email means SOMETHING.