+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uniform design

Thumbs up

Used the design tool on Chief Supply's website to place an order for one today. Very excited. Anxious for the lag time (3-4 weeks), but I think it will look very sharp.
    Name:  badge.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  27.6 KB

Before completing the employer transition, I extensively researched the uniform regulations for guards in our state, as well as looked for any difference between contract and proprietary positions. Working proprietary security doesn't require registering with the state's governing board (PI Licensing Board, here in NV), where contract guards have to register with the board and work for a licensed company. Contract guard uniforms have to have all insignia signed off by the board, while proprietary uniforms just have to not be "deceptively similar to a uniform, badge or patch used by any other licensee or law enforcement agency in this State."

Still up in the air on patches. I'm the only proprietary guard, so I'm looking at a max of 6-8 patches (3-4 shirts), way less than the typical minimum on reasonably priced custom orders.

Who can make suggestions on favorite mass-market shoulder patches?

Wow, cool...there are a lot more regulations on proprietary security officers and uniforms in Cali these days. iI like the badges design.... Is there no requirement for a numbered badge?

Quote Originally Posted by TOII View Post
    Wow, cool...there are a lot more regulations on proprietary security officers and uniforms in Cali these days. iI like the badges design.... Is there no requirement for a numbered badge?
    And apparently it's OK to use the State Seal?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
    And apparently it's OK to use the State Seal?
    I see your point. In my research, I concluded Nevada's regulations on security badges make no exclusions of badge content, just saying that the badge can't be deceptively similar to official state agency insignia. I make no bones about it-- I'm not sworn, and the badge says "private" in no uncertain terms.

I guess it comes down to I'm no lawyer, so I don't know the full letter of the law. However, if this design was ever called into question, I could demonstrate I mean to comply with the spirit of the law. For example, my employer has heard me explain to countless site guests that I'm not sworn (observing a sworn-vs-private misperception and knowingly allowing it to go uncorrected is actually a crime).

But I do thank you for bringing that to light. Seriously. Always want to be on the up and up.

I've been told that since WA did their major revamp of security regs in the mid-90s, only LE and state agencies can use the state seal on their badges. Don't know if in-house departments are exempt.

As for patches, go with something that has "Security Officer" in larger (rather than smaller) letters. Go for a patch that doesn't match the colors of the local police's patches, and there should be no confusion.

It is a good looking badge, though...