+ Reply to Thread

Question VIP incidents at hotels

Thinking back on Whitney Houston's death last week, how would you respond to the death of a starlet, VIP, famous person at your property (hotel or other)? I was thinking that it probably requires special security concerns for privacy, keeping paparazzi out, notifying police/family, etc. Do you have any thoughts on how to handle such incidents or do you have a plan in place?

Montreal borough of Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SIW Editor View Post
    Thinking back on Whitney Houston's death last week, how would you respond to the death of a starlet, VIP, famous person at your property (hotel or other)? I was thinking that it probably requires special security concerns for privacy, keeping paparazzi out, notifying police/family, etc. Do you have any thoughts on how to handle such incidents or do you have a plan in place?
    I have been involved in dealing with about 5 or 6 suicides in my hotels & a few natural deaths but no VIPs.

In all the deaths it has been the police that have taken the lead. Our involvment is to call 9-1-1, provide first aid then assist the police in their investigation.

I have dealt with the press coming into the hotel following incidents. This is dealt with the same way as dealing with any trespasser.

The hotel does make sure the body is picked up descretely & we are responsible in securing the person's belongings & releasing them to a family member.
    Last edited by HotelSecurity; 02-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.

Geoff, my "go to" expert on hotel VIP incident security is Kelly Klatt. If you remember, he's the one who did the SIW radio segment with me. He's the Director of Security for the 3 Loews hotel properties at Universal, Florida. Let me know if you want his email address.