+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wireless control with Rosslare Security

I have been installing the Rosslare door access control systems for several clients. One of them is looking to be able to open the doors wirelessly from her desk. Does anyone know of any systems I can integrate with this? There are 4 doors in the office at the moment.

If you're not familiar with rosslare, their system is very much like Honeywell so if it works with Honeywell is should work with rosslare as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You can accomplish what you want using almost any type of generic wireless transmitter/receiver combination. You would simply need to wire the dry-contact outputs of the wireless receiver as an input to the access control system. I am not familiar with the Rosslare system, but there is probably a input specifically intended for this purpose; if not, you can use a pilot relay to directly unlock the door hardware as well as to provide an input to bypass the door monitoring feature (if this feature is enabled.)

One popular brand of wireless systems is Linear. Here is a link to one of their single-channel receivers. If you have multiple doors that you want to control, you can also get a multiple-channel receiver. You would of course have to purchase one or more wireless transmitters that are compatible with the receiver that you choose.

If would be happy to help you further with this. Send me a PM or email if you get stuck.
    Michael A. Silva
    Silva Consultants

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Consultants View Post
    You can accomplish what you want using almost any type of generic wireless transmitter/receiver combination. You would simply need to wire the dry-contact outputs of the wireless receiver as an input to the access control system. I am not familiar with the Rosslare system, but there is probably a input specifically intended for this purpose; if not, you can use a pilot relay to directly unlock the door hardware as well as to provide an input to bypass the door monitoring feature (if this feature is enabled.)

One popular brand of wireless systems is Linear. Here is a link to one of their single-channel receivers. If you have multiple doors that you want to control, you can also get a multiple-channel receiver. You would of course have to purchase one or more wireless transmitters that are compatible with the receiver that you choose.

If would be happy to help you further with this. Send me a PM or email if you get stuck.
    A quick question, Michael - if you do unlock the door directly and bypass door monitoring, what if the door doesn't close (or isn't closed) after allowing entry?
    A man who will not lie to his wife has no regard for her feelings. - Anon.

My school was so tough we had our own coroner. - Lenny Bruce

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

Quote Originally Posted by SecTrainer View Post
    A quick question, Michael - if you do unlock the door directly and bypass door monitoring, what if the door doesn't close (or isn't closed) after allowing entry?
    After the door has been open longer than the designated (user-specified) time period, the system would generate a "door open-too-long/door adjar" alarm.
    Michael A. Silva
    Silva Consultants

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Consultants View Post
    After the door has been open longer than the designated (user-specified) time period, the system would generate a "door open-too-long/door adjar" alarm.
    So, it would still do this even if you've bypassed door monitoring?

In my neighborhood, you could walk 10 blocks in any direction and never leave the scene of a crime. - Charlie Callas

Yes provided he installed the system correctly and if it is a timed release not latching.

If he ties the remote parallel into a REX N/O input which unlocks the door and shunts the contact or if he just clicks a timed DPDT relay that bypasses a maglock and shunts a door contact. After timeout, the door contact would show open causing a forced / door open too long.
    Last edited by LARMGUY; 02-09-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Sorry, I think the terminology in my original response may have been a little sloppy so please let me clarify:

Doors that are equipped with an access control system typically have two types of monitoring: "door-forced" monitoring, and "door open-too-long/door ajar" monitoring. "Door-forced" monitoring will sound the alarm if the door is opened without either 1) the use of a valid access card at the card reader, or 2) the activation of a "request-to-exit" (REX) input, typically caused by a REX motion detector located inside the door or a manual REX button. The second type of monitoring, "door open-too-long/door ajar" monitoring, times how long the door has been open, and will sound the alarm if the door has been held open longer than a user specified period (typically 120 seconds).

Whenever you want to remotely unlock a door, such as with a wireless button, you need to somehow deal with the door monitoring feature otherwise you will get a false alarm every time the door is opened using the button. Some of the more advanced access control systems manage this through software; you simply need to tie the wireless button output to a spare input and program the system to both unlock the door and temporarily bypass the door-forced alarm.

However, many access control systems don't allow you to do this directly in software, so you have to do it using an external electrical circuit, such as the pilot relay arrangement that I suggested. The pilot relay is wired so that when the wireless button is pressed, two outputs are activated; one to unlock the door hardware, and the other to activate the "request-to-exit" (REX) input on the access control system. These outputs are momentary and activated only while the wireless button is being pressed.

Activating the REX input tells the system that this is a legitimate "door open" request, so please don't activate the alarm when the door is opened just after it has been released by the wireless button. This in effect "bypasses the door monitoring feature", but just for this one opening of the door, and does nothing to inhibit the "door open-too-long/door ajar" feature.
    Michael A. Silva
    Silva Consultants

Thanks, Michael - I got the gist from the "Reader's Digest" version but learned more from the expanded reply. Much appreciated!

Thanks, Michael - I got the gist from the "Reader's Digest" version but learned more from the expanded reply. Much appreciated!
    I had it all typed out that way too but decided to use the Cliff's Notes version.

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

All of them have given a nice suggestion.