Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim1348
    • Dec 2010

Unarmed Canine Handlers

I have seen unarmed canine handlers at the Mall Of America. At first it seemed a little unusual, but then the Mall Of America Security is unarmed. I guess I am just not accustomed to seeing uniformed canine handlers that aren't armed officers. I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one. Anyway, has anybody seen any other unarmed canine handlers anywhere? Are there many security companies that use unarmed canine security officers?
  • Sierra 1
    • Feb 2006

K-9 SOS provides detection services for several U.S. DOE sites in Oak Ridge, TN. Most of the handlers are prior military or law enforcement. The standard pay rate is $50,000.00 + a year (no medical benefits).

This particular company supplements the on-site protective force's capabilities. They do not work for the site's security contractor, nor do they provide armed handlers (detection only).
    Last edited by Sierra 1; 01-28-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• sgtnewby
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Jim1348
      I have seen unarmed canine handlers at the Mall Of America. At first it seemed a little unusual, but then the Mall Of America Security is unarmed. I guess I am just not accustomed to seeing uniformed canine handlers that aren't armed officers. I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one. Anyway, has anybody seen any other unarmed canine handlers anywhere? Are there many security companies that use unarmed canine security officers?
      Jim, I know of about 40 hospitals in the U.S. that have their own canine teams, and NONE of them are armed. I don't quite understand that myself, but through my research I have found, that if they are armed security at a hospital, they don't tend to have dogs, if they have dogs, they don't tend to be armed. Weird...
      Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

• tanko
        • May 2008

I have seen TSA canine officers working before, but unfortunately I've only seen them nowhere near airports.

I've read there are some contract canine handlers working in Afghanistan unarmed.

Originally posted by Sierra 1
        http://www.k9sos.com/about.html

K-9 SOS provides detection services for several U.S. DOE sites in Oak Ridge, TN. Most of the handlers are prior military or law enforcement. The standard pay rate is $50,000.00 + a year (no medical benefits).

This particular company supplements the on-site protective force's capabilities. They do not work for the site's security contractor, nor do they provide armed handlers (detection only).
        Good info. I would love to become an explosive detection canine handler if given the opportunity, even if it was unarmed. Unfortunately, I don't have the required experience. Heck, I would pay for the canine and training if I was given the opportunity.

Originally posted by sgtnewby
        Jim, I know of about 40 hospitals in the U.S. that have their own canine teams, and NONE of them are armed. I don't quite understand that myself, but through my research I have found, that if they are armed security at a hospital, they don't tend to have dogs, if they have dogs, they don't tend to be armed. Weird...
        I'll second that. Besides government contractors, and special police officers I have yet to see an armed security officer with a canine. I'm curious if it's mentality of 'liability cost' by the higher-ups is what creates this mentality.

Sgtnewby, do you have canines at your hospital? I can't remember.
        sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

• sgtnewby
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by tanko
          I have seen TSA canine officers working before, but unfortunately I've only seen them nowhere near airports.

I've read there are some contract canine handlers working in Afghanistan unarmed.

Good info. I would love to become an explosive detection canine handler if given the opportunity, even if it was unarmed. Unfortunately, I don't have the required experience. Heck, I would pay for the canine and training if I was given the opportunity.

I'll second that. Besides government contractors, and special police officers I have yet to see an armed security officer with a canine. I'm curious if it's mentality of 'liability cost' by the higher-ups is what creates this mentality.

Sgtnewby, do you have canines at your hospital? I can't remember.
          As we speak, no. But lookin very good for the extremely near future, we'll see what happens...
          Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

• Security_K9_Guy
            • Sep 2011

A lot of single purpose (narcotics/explosive) handlers are unarmed because they are not used for apprehension or patrol work just detection work, after all a pistol isn't much use against a bomb ;-). I do believe if a handler is work in a patrol function they should be armed.

Comment

• flashlightcop509
              • Jan 2006

When I worked for First Security back in the 80's, I was an unarmed K9 officer at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, CT.
              “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
              "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

• Jim1348
                • Dec 2010

Unarmed Canine Handlers

Originally posted by sgtnewby
                As we speak, no. But lookin very good for the extremely near future, we'll see what happens...
                Did your agency get canine? Also, is going armed and sworn still going to happen?

Comment

• DCPSPDcop
                  • Dec 2012

I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one.
                  The canine handlers that were previously under the USDA but are now under DHS/TSA are unarmed (a holdover policy from when they were part of USDA)... they use beagles to sniff out illegal foods and plants being brought into the country... these officers have police powers, but are unarmed... here is what they look like:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	medium.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	221368 Click image for larger version

Name:	7_1817.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	221369 Click image for larger version

Name:	Beagle.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	221370
                  Last edited by DCPSPDcop; 02-07-2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• DCPSPDcop
                    • Dec 2012

The TSA also recently added bomb sniffing dogs with non-police officer handlers who are also unarmed... this is what they look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TSA handler.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	221371 Click image for larger version

Name:	TSAhandler2.jpg
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	221372 Click image for larger version

Name:	TSAhandler3.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	221373

Comment

• DCPSPDcop
                      • Dec 2012

I think the first thing that everyone should understand is that not all K9's are Patrol K9's. Most K9's are used for explosives detection; as the is the case for the K9's at the Mall of America. They are NOT Patrol K9's, like you would see on TV chasing down a bad guy and biting him... they exist to detect explosive devices (and for the most part to rule out suspicious packages).

Thus, if the rest of the security force is unarmed, they are going to be as well, since the only additional thing the K9 handler is doing is detecting explosives; which a firearm would not help him do.
                      Last edited by DCPSPDcop; 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...