+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    432

    Default Unarmed Canine Handlers

    I have seen unarmed canine handlers at the Mall Of America. At first it seemed a little unusual, but then the Mall Of America Security is unarmed. I guess I am just not accustomed to seeing uniformed canine handlers that aren't armed officers. I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one. Anyway, has anybody seen any other unarmed canine handlers anywhere? Are there many security companies that use unarmed canine security officers?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    146

    Default

    http://www.k9sos.com/about.html

    K-9 SOS provides detection services for several U.S. DOE sites in Oak Ridge, TN. Most of the handlers are prior military or law enforcement. The standard pay rate is $50,000.00 + a year (no medical benefits).

    This particular company supplements the on-site protective force's capabilities. They do not work for the site's security contractor, nor do they provide armed handlers (detection only).
    Last edited by Sierra 1; 01-28-2011 at 07:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I have seen unarmed canine handlers at the Mall Of America. At first it seemed a little unusual, but then the Mall Of America Security is unarmed. I guess I am just not accustomed to seeing uniformed canine handlers that aren't armed officers. I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one. Anyway, has anybody seen any other unarmed canine handlers anywhere? Are there many security companies that use unarmed canine security officers?
    Jim, I know of about 40 hospitals in the U.S. that have their own canine teams, and NONE of them are armed. I don't quite understand that myself, but through my research I have found, that if they are armed security at a hospital, they don't tend to have dogs, if they have dogs, they don't tend to be armed. Weird...
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I have seen unarmed canine handlers at the Mall Of America. At first it seemed a little unusual, but then the Mall Of America Security is unarmed. I guess I am just not accustomed to seeing uniformed canine handlers that aren't armed officers. I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one. Anyway, has anybody seen any other unarmed canine handlers anywhere? Are there many security companies that use unarmed canine security officers?
    I have seen TSA canine officers working before, but unfortunately I've only seen them nowhere near airports.

    I've read there are some contract canine handlers working in Afghanistan unarmed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra 1 View Post
    http://www.k9sos.com/about.html

    K-9 SOS provides detection services for several U.S. DOE sites in Oak Ridge, TN. Most of the handlers are prior military or law enforcement. The standard pay rate is $50,000.00 + a year (no medical benefits).

    This particular company supplements the on-site protective force's capabilities. They do not work for the site's security contractor, nor do they provide armed handlers (detection only).
    Good info. I would love to become an explosive detection canine handler if given the opportunity, even if it was unarmed. Unfortunately, I don't have the required experience. Heck, I would pay for the canine and training if I was given the opportunity.

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtnewby View Post
    Jim, I know of about 40 hospitals in the U.S. that have their own canine teams, and NONE of them are armed. I don't quite understand that myself, but through my research I have found, that if they are armed security at a hospital, they don't tend to have dogs, if they have dogs, they don't tend to be armed. Weird...
    I'll second that. Besides government contractors, and special police officers I have yet to see an armed security officer with a canine. I'm curious if it's mentality of 'liability cost' by the higher-ups is what creates this mentality.

    Sgtnewby, do you have canines at your hospital? I can't remember.


    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tanko View Post
    I have seen TSA canine officers working before, but unfortunately I've only seen them nowhere near airports.

    I've read there are some contract canine handlers working in Afghanistan unarmed.



    Good info. I would love to become an explosive detection canine handler if given the opportunity, even if it was unarmed. Unfortunately, I don't have the required experience. Heck, I would pay for the canine and training if I was given the opportunity.



    I'll second that. Besides government contractors, and special police officers I have yet to see an armed security officer with a canine. I'm curious if it's mentality of 'liability cost' by the higher-ups is what creates this mentality.

    Sgtnewby, do you have canines at your hospital? I can't remember.
    As we speak, no. But lookin very good for the extremely near future, we'll see what happens...
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    210

    Default

    A lot of single purpose (narcotics/explosive) handlers are unarmed because they are not used for apprehension or patrol work just detection work, after all a pistol isn't much use against a bomb ;-). I do believe if a handler is work in a patrol function they should be armed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northfield, Vermont
    Posts
    752

    Default

    When I worked for First Security back in the 80's, I was an unarmed K9 officer at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, CT.
    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    432

    Default Unarmed Canine Handlers

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtnewby View Post
    As we speak, no. But lookin very good for the extremely near future, we'll see what happens...
    Did your agency get canine? Also, is going armed and sworn still going to happen?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one.
    The canine handlers that were previously under the USDA but are now under DHS/TSA are unarmed (a holdover policy from when they were part of USDA)... they use beagles to sniff out illegal foods and plants being brought into the country... these officers have police powers, but are unarmed... here is what they look like:
    Name:  medium.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  53.5 KB Name:  7_1817.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  44.1 KB Name:  Beagle.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  46.6 KB
    Last edited by DCPSPDcop; 02-07-2013 at 03:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    63

    Default

    The TSA also recently added bomb sniffing dogs with non-police officer handlers who are also unarmed... this is what they look like:

    Name:  TSA handler.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  20.1 KB Name:  TSAhandler2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  18.1 KB Name:  TSAhandler3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  35.7 KB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts