X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sean1289
    • Sep 2011

Medical Training

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if your company provides medical training?? If so, What training?? Was it First Aid/CPR/AED, First Responder, EMT-B, Paramedic, etc. What training did you seek on your own??

Sean
  • Jim1348
    • Dec 2010

Emergency Medical Training

First Responder.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
      • Mar 2006

The Quebec government pays a company to have 1 employee trained in first aid for every 50 employees the company has.

The course to get your Security Guard license here requires a 16 hour first aid course.

Personally when I started in hotel security I took the EMT-A course & worked as a volunteer First Responder for a few years to keep up the skills.

I believe that Security working with the public, should be professional first responders for all emergencies. Thus my avitar).
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• Sean1289
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
        The Quebec government pays a company to have 1 employee trained in first aid for every 50 employees the company has.

The course to get your Security Guard license here requires a 16 hour first aid course.

Personally when I started in hotel security I took the EMT-A course & worked as a volunteer First Responder for a few years to keep up the skills.

I believe that Security working with the public, should be professional first responders for all emergencies. Thus my avitar).
        Hotel you hit the nail on he head. We as Security Officers are the first line of defense for all emergencies. The problem is some of our fellow officers (no one on this forum)think its just a job, and give less than satisfactory job performance. The other issue is with professional responders, but that is another thread for another time.

My job, we just got CPR and AED. We were supposed to get First Aid, but that didn't happen for god knows why.

I do intend on getting my First Responder and then move on to EMT-B.

Comment

• JoeMama
          • Sep 2010

My last good job provided us with first aid/CPR/AED training plus we had several AEDs on the property. The company where I was assigned also provided the same training for anyone who wanted it so there were probably about 20-50 trained people there every day.

My employer here in TX? Not a thing which means I won't lift a finger for anyone on site (industrial plant). I'll call 911 and stand by for the fire dept and then go back to my job.

Comment

• HotelSecurity
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JoeMama
            My last good job provided us with first aid/CPR/AED training plus we had several AEDs on the property. The company where I was assigned also provided the same training for anyone who wanted it so there were probably about 20-50 trained people there every day.

My employer here in TX? Not a thing which means I won't lift a finger for anyone on site (industrial plant). I'll call 911 and stand by for the fire dept and then go back to my job.
            The Canadian Criminal Code contains an article that says 'if you are trained to provide aid and someone needs that aid, you MUST provide it'.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• macguard
              • Nov 2011

CPR/AED/First Aid (I went out of my way to get it.)

Comment

• Texas Metro Security
                • Sep 2010

The Canadian Criminal Code contains an article that says 'if you are trained to provide aid and someone needs that aid, you MUST provide it'.
                Last I knew Texas had the same. I believe it is "Failure to Stop and Render Aid" or something along those lines. Think the spirit of the law was intended to apply to motor vehicle acidents, but it applies everywhere.
                G. Nash

Comment

• JoeMama
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Texas Metro Security
                  Last I knew Texas had the same. I believe it is "Failure to Stop and Render Aid" or something along those lines. Think the spirit of the law was intended to apply to motor vehicle acidents, but it applies everywhere.

Neither Texas nor CanadaLand can order someone to do more than they think they can do with their training, PLUS as there is NO issued PPE for ANYONE at the plant, all I'll say is "hold that paper towel on the red stuff until the big red truck arrives".

Comment

• Condo Guard
                    • Oct 2010

Keep current

Most companies I've been with offer basic adult 1st Aid / CPR at hiring. Keep the certification up. They may not remind you when your certification is due to lapse - it's up to you to stay current.

Even if you have to pay for recertification yourself, I recommend it. As is stressed on this forum, emergencies can come up anytime - even if your site hasn't had one in years. You may find yourself in a situation where you are the only one who knows CPR, and help may be many minutes away.

Comment

• Security_K9_Guy
                      • Sep 2011

My company provides basic first aid, adult/child/infant CPR and AED and then all recerts

Comment

• Jstar571
                        • Jun 2009

training

both jobs... AED/CPR and first aid

Comment

• med9044
                          • Oct 2014

Im a professional EMT with 11 years experience, 3 years ago i joined security as Security/EMT and i handle almost all emergencies until EMS or Fire shows up and takes over. So far my companies have paid for my recert education for my EMT level.

Comment

• MIMIAGA
                            • Dec 2013

I am a certified Emergency Medical Responder and AHA BLS CPR and AED Instructor. These came from my part time gig at the Fire district however they are useful, in security as well.

Comment

• zm88
                              • Nov 2008

A handful of our staff have the basic first aid and CPR/AED. Myself and one other have the first responder training and one guy is a paramedic.
                              Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...