PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Lp Dept's

nyspo
02-23-2006, 10:22 AM
are all walmart store's LP depts the same ?. here in new york they are redoing them as well . and the use securitas on the outside in the parking lots.and thier is three weeks of training .thats all i know

does any one know do the carry hand cuffs and badges?

i was thinking of getting a job with walmart LP dept

N. A. Corbier
02-23-2006, 02:11 PM
All Walmart Loss Prevention units are run through the Vice President of LP via Bentonville.

LP is currently undergoing a restructuring, as is most of Wal-Mart, from what I understand. LP Operations has seemed to have contracted with Securitas to replace the in house "Courtesy Guard" program, which was part of LP but is NOT responsible for detainment or security, only making the patrons feel safe.

Loss Prevention Associates, in some stores, carry handcuffs. Usually, you have to go to the LP Academy in Bentonville before your allowed to carry cuffs.

When I worked at a Wal-Mart in Florida, we had an LPO who displayed a badge. She was arrested for impersonating a law enforcement officer after she detained a police officer's son for shoplifting. The son went for shoplifting, she went for Impersonating, because the "police officer felt that displaying a badge without a uniform and informing them that she worked for walmart was not an activity a security guard would perform." Charges, of course, were dropped, but so was displaying a badge.

nyspo
02-24-2006, 10:07 AM
i knew walmart was undergoing changes in thei LP dept as well as thier distict managers.right now the put a hold on hireing even for LP.

i was also told by a manager of one of the stores .LP will not arrest any more it will be up to the store manager who is and who is not as well as they will also bemore visable to customers as well as employees to try to stop them from stealing

N. A. Corbier
02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
i knew walmart was undergoing changes in thei LP dept as well as thier distict managers.right now the put a hold on hireing even for LP.

i was also told by a manager of one of the stores .LP will not arrest any more it will be up to the store manager who is and who is not as well as they will also bemore visable to customers as well as employees to try to stop them from stealing

Sounds like they may have a Securitas guard in the store, then, ala Target.

The Store Manager, and every Assistant, was required to take all LP CBL (Computer Based Learning) modules for LP. Due to my background, and the lack of LP associates in my store, I routinely had to play "backup" to an assistant manager's detainment. Which usually meant - I was the one making the apprehension after being given probable cause that the assistant manager had reason to stop. It worked alot better for combative folks if I was doing it, and not a 4"9' Vietmanese woman. Especially when Walmart policy was "apprehend and trespass." Oh, yeah, good times. I used to turn the outer exit door off, and watch em slam into it when they ran. :)

However, LP associates were completely OUT of the store chain of command. A Store Manager could not tell an LP associate what to do, they would "work together to create LP solutions." It was also fun to play "detect the LP" person when they'd decide to send us one - they all stuck out like sore thumbs, and had "I AM A POLICE OFFICER" written on their backs. They stopped hiring off-duty cops after awhile, though, so it made it harder.

nyspo
02-25-2006, 09:29 AM
well N.A COBIER,

It sounds like it use to be alot of fun to catch shoplifters.
i had to interview with walmart pior to them putting on a hiring freeze and re doing their LP dept. i was told they arrest alot of people and the job was fun and you made up your on hours to work.i was to have my third interview when they called me back and said thier was a hiring freeze and now they have new distict managers and waiting for them to decide or say its ok to hire again. iam first on the list i was told

i know a store manager thats how i know all this and have a in on the job

WMISLP
05-04-2006, 01:27 AM
I am a APA (Asset Protections Assc.) for a wal-mart in kansas. Yes we are going through some changes. As far as our policies nothing has really changed. We have added a salaired position called the Asset Proctection Corrdiator. We still have plain clothes floor walkers and we still carry handcuffs and we DO NOT have badges. We have a Wal-Mart ID stating who we are with a picture. That ID is required to be shown at the time of every apprehension if the situation warrants or doesn't go south, if you know what I mean. When you are hired by Wal-Mart as an APA or old ter ISLP you complete OJT with a trainer in the LP dept. and then you are signed off once you can catch one, clean it and fry it on your own. Most training phases take about 2weeks. I have never been to any classes at the home office in Bentonville, so where that came from I have no idea. The local police dept conducts handcuff training and once that is completed a form is filled out by your DLPS or MAPM as they are called now and placed in your personal file and sent to the home office. As far the the store manager making stops, the asst-mgr's, support mgrs and APA's are all authorized assc's to make apprehensions. So don't be fooled by what you hear out there. We are still here and still kicking ass. If you have anymore questions about the break down of the re-structuring of the LP department, please feel free to ask me. And yes we will be hiring again but it won't be until after all of APC's are in place and working out all of the kinks.

HotelSecurity
05-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I recently had dealings with the Loss Prevention department from the head office of Wal-Mart Canada. They had a large meeting in my hotel & the President attended. I was very impressed with their head office security. Not so much with the system they use in the stores.They sent some of their local LP people to work at the meeing. I spoke to them & was told that it was against Wal-Mart Canada's policy for them to carry handcuffs. It was against the Wal-Mart image.

N. A. Corbier
05-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Sounds like the "soft loss" vs. "hard loss" concept. Its a worse loss the the store to take a visibly elderly person into custody for shoplifting than it is for the shoplifter to steal items, unless the elderly person is a felon or professional shoplifter.

Same with children under the age of 10. In Florida, they weren't prosecutable anyway.

nyspo
05-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I am a APA (Asset Protections Assc.) for a wal-mart in kansas. Yes we are going through some changes. As far as our policies nothing has really changed. We have added a salaired position called the Asset Proctection Corrdiator. We still have plain clothes floor walkers and we still carry handcuffs and we DO NOT have badges. We have a Wal-Mart ID stating who we are with a picture. That ID is required to be shown at the time of every apprehension if the situation warrants or doesn't go south, if you know what I mean. When you are hired by Wal-Mart as an APA or old ter ISLP you complete OJT with a trainer in the LP dept. and then you are signed off once you can catch one, clean it and fry it on your own. Most training phases take about 2weeks. I have never been to any classes at the home office in Bentonville, so where that came from I have no idea. The local police dept conducts handcuff training and once that is completed a form is filled out by your DLPS or MAPM as they are called now and placed in your personal file and sent to the home office. As far the the store manager making stops, the asst-mgr's, support mgrs and APA's are all authorized assc's to make apprehensions. So don't be fooled by what you hear out there. We are still here and still kicking ass. If you have anymore questions about the break down of the re-structuring of the LP department, please feel free to ask me. And yes we will be hiring again but it won't be until after all of APC's are in place and working out all of the kinks.

well thank you for the info.....i have ben trying to get in to wam-mart LP dept for months now ......i even have a IN my mom is a asst. store manager ..... and i still have to wait....lol

WMISLP
05-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Well we are still prosecuting adults but the amount has to be over 25.00 or they have to flee, fight or have no forms of valid ID. As for the juveniles we don't prosecute anymore unless they are a repeat offender. So most of our new focus is geared towards the internal aspects of things. As for Wal-Mart in Canada I have no idea what rules they operate under. But here in the states we carry handcuffs and most everything is the same.

T202
05-06-2006, 08:12 PM
The police department I worked for and Wal-Mart had a very good working relationship. They would call and advise that they had someone for retail fraud. By the time we got there, they had the stolen property photographed, a written report done and a statement from the suspect. Their information and report gave us plenty of probable cause to make the arrest and lodge him/her.
I never had a bad experience with Wal-Mart LP.

darrell
05-06-2006, 09:05 PM
My buddy is the district MGR for LP's. I can call and ask him what he knows and let you guys know whats happening.

I used to work at the mall with him..

WMISLP
05-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Yes we do have a very strong working relationship with local law enforcement. I try to have all of the reports done before you the PD gets there. Everything from the incident report to statements and the ticket. As for the person that stated he has a buddie that is a MAPM from wal-mart, I am an ISLP hints LP and I am fully aware whats going on b/c I am in the middle of the entrie mess. I am not trying to be arguementive but trust me I am aware of all the facts.

Big Bulldog
05-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Wal*Mart Canada is actually advertising for a Corporate Security Manager right now to head up their national program. Wonder what happened to the former guy.

CA-ON-Toronto/GTA-CORPORATE SECURITY MANAGER :.

PURPOSE:

The Corporate Security Manager is responsible for evaluating risks and threats to the Company and ensuring that the appropriate actions are taken to mitigate the risk. Some of the areas looked at by the Corporate Security Manager include technical security countermeasures, executive protection, emergency response team, travel, activist groups, Corporate image,information and terrorism.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

• Evaluate the threat of external forces to the Company’s image and physical property and take the necessary actions to mitigate the risk.

• Provide Executive Protection (established process) for traveling executives.

• Review all International travel and manage safety strategies related to moderate and high risk locations.

• Monitor and track all activist groups that target our Company or products we carry.

• Maintain an excellent working relationship with Government agencies such as CSIS, RCMP, and local police in order to facilitate the flow of intelligence.

• Evaluate physical security requirements for corporate functions where necessary; coordinate physical security initiatives for corporate events.

• Provide advice to operating units to minimize risk exposure to incident.

• Conduct risk and threat assessments of corporate owned and operated facilities, and make recommendations for corrective action.

• Conduct site visits to assess risk level of facilities providing services (3rd party suppliers) to Wal-Mart where required.

• Provide expert advice for ongoing corporate investigations.

• Arrange and conduct Corporate training programs for key areas such as Travel Department, Aviation, People Division and Loss Prevention Department.

• Ensure adequate handling controls are in place for all confidential information.

• Partnership with Associate Relations to ensure security for Associates at off-site meetings.

• Coordinate Emergency Operations Centre activity during crisis situation.

• Conduct assessment of control access to confidential information; liaising with Information Security Department in Bentonville.

REQUIREMENTS:

• Self-motivator for continued education/training and development.

• Strong sense of urgency.

• “Question why” type thinker with a desire to investigate.

• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.

• Strong organizational and time management skills.

• Must have high level of integrity and professionalism.

• Ability to model Wal-Mart’s three basic beliefs – respect for the individual, service to the customer and striving for excellence.

• Be a motivator, team player and have passion and commitment.

• Valid driver’s license.

• Ability to travel (Domestic and International).

• Community College Certificate or equivalent. A designation as Certified Fraud Examiner would be an asset.

• Minimum of 5 years experience in the security field.

• Proficient computer skills in Outlook, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.

Mr. Security
05-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Another shoplifter thought he could use his 5-finger discount at our local store. I happened to be there when he was cuffed & stuffed. Another one bites the dust... :D

Mr. Security
07-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Most of us have seen the elderly or disabled individuals that Wal*Mart often uses to greet customers near the front of their stores. Recently, I observed a group pass through the security tower and set off the alarm. After the elderly greeter finished checking with the shoppers to find out why the alarm sounded, I asked her if she is expected to confront people who set off the alarm when leaving. She affirmed that it is part of her job. In fact, she once chased after a shopper who had stolen thousands, for which she was rightly reprimanded. Still, it concerns me that she is expected to confront potential shoplifters by herself. I explained that I am a licensed s/o and would not want to confront anyone w/o back up. I advised her to be careful and at least not stand between the person and their escape route in case they bolt.

Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. :( What do you think?

aka Bull
07-01-2006, 03:14 PM
...Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. :( What do you think?

Honestly, it would only be a matter of time before one of them gets seriously hurt. Wait until one of the greeters runs head on into a well-organized shoplifting crew.

It would seem to be in the better interests of Walmart to simply teach these people to politely ask if they can determine why the alarm went off, and if they are refused they should do no more than be able to give a good description of the individual(s) and, if possible, watch from a safe distance to be able to record vehicle information. All of this information could then be turned over to local authorities.

The idea that these older and untrained people should be at the entrances with one aspect of their job to be preventing theft from the store is a bit crazy. While the honest folks setting off the alarm will themselves feel surprise, they also aren't going to cause a problem, usually, since they know they've made legal purchases.

N. A. Corbier
07-01-2006, 03:48 PM
When I worked for Walmart, the "entrance greeter" was not a loss prevention position. However, the "exit greeter" was an LP position. They're not there to greet you as you leave. They're there to check bags, monitor the EAS system, utilize the hand EAS scanners, log activations into the log, and engage shoplifters at the point of sale.

We used elderly greeters for another reason, touching one is felony battery. I disagreed with this, but the greeters knew that they were in potential danger, and made a "personal decision" to work that post.

Much like you do when you work an unarmed post in the hood without a duty belt.

Bill Warnock
07-01-2006, 04:27 PM
There was a retired gunny and LTC working as greeters. Some young thugs thought they could take them on. One pulled a knife and wound up with a broken arm. Another took a swing at the LTC and found to his amazement he could actually fly albeit a short distance. The other two took off and ran smack into the county police and actually asked for protection from those "horrible old men."
That happened just after I had staples removed from bladder surgery. I was laughing so hard when the gunny described it to us "younger" folks, my wife had to get some dressing sponges to stop the seepage.
That was fun to listen to and mentally picture those "horrible old men" in action.
Enjoy the day,
Bill

Mr. Security
07-01-2006, 07:35 PM
When I worked for Walmart, the "entrance greeter" was not a loss prevention position. However, the "exit greeter" was an LP position. They're not there to greet you as you leave. They're there to check bags, monitor the EAS system, utilize the hand EAS scanners, log activations into the log, and engage shoplifters at the point of sale.

We used elderly greeters for another reason, touching one is felony battery. I disagreed with this, but the greeters knew that they were in potential danger, and made a "personal decision" to work that post.

Much like you do when you work an unarmed post in the hood without a duty belt.

Apparently, at least at our Wal*Mart, they are on the 'two-for-one' program since she was doing both. At any rate, I don't think she appreciated the degree of danger she is being exposed to until I spoke to her about it. One good push resulting in a broken hip might give the prosecutor a felony charge to work with, but it isn't going to help her any. I doubt if Wal*Mart will be at her bedside if it happens. :rolleyes:

T202
07-01-2006, 07:54 PM
This is old news but it is on topic.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=61453

Mr. Security
07-01-2006, 08:06 PM
This is old news but it is on topic.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=61453

Exactly the problem I'm concerned about. Thanks for the link, T202. :)

N. A. Corbier
07-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Exactly the problem I'm concerned about. Thanks for the link, T202. :)

I once yelled at an assistant manager and two stockers who tried to follow a suspect to his car. They tried the "pull him out." The man's solution was similar, he backed up and sped out.

None of them realized what they were doing. One of them was like, 'Well, why didn't you stop him?' Because even with body armor, tools, and a firearm on, that car isn't going to stop for me. Even if I shoot the driver, the car isn't going to stop for me.

aka Bull
07-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I once yelled at an assistant manager and two stockers who tried to follow a suspect to his car. They tried the "pull him out." The man's solution was similar, he backed up and sped out.

None of them realized what they were doing. One of them was like, 'Well, why didn't you stop him?' Because even with body armor, tools, and a firearm on, that car isn't going to stop for me. Even if I shoot the driver, the car isn't going to stop for me.

And there you have it. One wonders what the heck they were thinking? Putting your personal safety/health/life on the line at that point to save the company their cost (not the retail cost) of a few dollars possibly. Regardless of whether the individual allegedly stole $1.00 worth of goods, or $1000.00, there comes a point when you pull up short and just get all the information you can - safely - and file a report with the PD.

Tyco
08-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Wal-Mart Canada does allow the use of handcuff provided proper training. The Quebec region however does not allow it. So any LP in Canada is allowed to carry/use cuffs except in Quebvec

HotelSecurity
08-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Wal-Mart Canada does allow the use of handcuff provided proper training. The Quebec region however does not allow it. So any LP in Canada is allowed to carry/use cuffs except in Quebvec

I believe it would be a Wal-Mart policy. There is no LAW not allowing Security to carry/use cuffs in Quebec. At least I hope there isn't. I've been carrying/using them for almost 30 years in Montreal :D

Tyco
08-03-2006, 09:24 PM
No there is no law forbiding it. Wal-Mart Canada is split into regions. Quebec to the East is Region 1. Ontario is Region#2, and the Rest of Canada is #3.
For some reason (who knws why)Region#1 does not allow it (regional policy not comapny). I was at those meetings andtalked to Quebec LP. I was shocked when he told me he was not allowed to carry them. But he did say they were going to be changing it as the regional lp manager is new.

HotelSecurity
08-04-2006, 02:42 AM
I can confirm that the Quebec people do not. Last fall the Canadian president came to the hotel for a meeting. The Security Director from head office came. He was very security conscious, I've had politians come to the hotels with less security precautions. Being in Quebec they needed French speaking staff so they pulled some of their LP people from nearby stores. I spoke to them & was told about the policy. Apparently it has something to do with their :) :) : . using handcuffs makes them look unfriendly :( :( :

HotelSecurity
08-04-2006, 02:44 AM
By the way Tyco, where are you located? Does Tyco have anything to do with the parent company of ADT?

Tyco
08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Im with Wal-Mart in Ontario as LP.
Here they always back us up when the need to handcuff and fight arises.
They also back us up if we decide not to engage and call 911 if we feel it can become violent.
And no nothing to do with ADT. Nickname from highschool

born_2_code
08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
hehe, lol --------------------

Mr. Security
08-13-2006, 07:47 PM
hehe, lol --------------------

Interesting post. Care to elaborate?

Mr. Security
08-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Most of us have seen the elderly or disabled individuals that Wal*Mart often uses to greet customers near the front of their stores. Recently, I observed a group pass through the security tower and set off the alarm. After the elderly greeter finished checking with the shoppers to find out why the alarm sounded, I asked her if she is expected to confront people who set off the alarm when leaving. She affirmed that it is part of her job. In fact, she once chased after a shopper who had stolen thousands, for which she was rightly reprimanded. Still, it concerns me that she is expected to confront potential shoplifters by herself. I explained that I am a licensed s/o and would not want to confront anyone w/o back up. I advised her to be careful and at least not stand between the person and their escape route in case they bolt.

Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. :( What do you think?

Well, it happened. A 75 year-old greeter stopped a man w/ a TV as he was walking out of the store and asked to see his receipt. The man threw the TV at the greeter, injuring him. :(

N. A. Corbier
08-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, it happened. A 75 year-old greeter stopped a man w/ a TV as he was walking out of the store and asked to see his receipt. The man threw the TV at the greeter, injuring him. :(

We had an exit greeter in Garden attacked by a juvenile. She was 67 year old. They needed to take the juvenile to the hospital, she counter attacked "fearing for her life" with her issued box cutter. Justified, too. The kid was armed with pruning shears.

That was great fun, oh yes. There were no loss prevention associates in the store, and none of the assistants were LP trained yet. One of em got the bright idea, "Well, he knows what he's doing."

Mr. Security
08-26-2006, 03:39 PM
We had an exit greeter in Garden attacked by a juvenile. She was 67 year old. They needed to take the juvenile to the hospital, she counter attacked "fearing for her life" with her issued box cutter. Justified, too. The kid was armed with pruning shears....................

Sounds like that kid received some 'Geriatric Justice.' Can't blame the greeter for defending herself.

Bill Warnock
08-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Sounds like the three or four that attacked to retired Marines and had to be taken to the hospital, especially the one who got a cheap flying lesson.
Enjoy the day,
Bill